Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    LOL! I don't believe there are very many people in the world who can agree on 1 pet food that is best! Everyone has their opinions. I personally have seen dogs who have done quite poorly on the "high quality" foods, but did well on ones that were considered "lesser quality". In my case I don't even bother with reading dog food lables anymore! (Thank heavens) I just buy the same human grade meats for my dogs as I do for my family and everything is well. :) Of couse they do get a larger variety of meats than we do..I for one am not interested in eating things like Emu necks,green tripe or beef hearts but the dogs love 'em! :)

Before I started feeding a RAW diet though, I did constantly research kibbles and read lables....lol depending on who or where you get your information from you will almost always get a different answer about what is best.

JustAnotherDogLover: "And on the other hand, she lists a food on the "high quality" list that one of my pet stores carries that does not contain ANY meat, meal or any vegetables of any kind either. If I remember correctly, the main ingredient was corn followed by rice of some sort. "

Which food on the list were you refering to? That baffles my mind that someone would manufacture a dog food that doesn't contain meat! Dogs are carnivores, not cattle..lol they can't survive and thrive on grain products alone. On a separtate forum I am a memeber of (mainly raw feeding forum) we had a memeber come in a preach to us about the benifits of feeding a stricly VEGAN diet to our canines, and how wrong it was for us to allow are dogs to consume meat from animals who had lost their lives! I have no issues with people who are vegetarians...to each his own, but ranting about the benifits of making my dog a vegitarian was laughable! lol
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

I realize it's all up in the air and based on opinion but I'm taking into consideration dumbo's like me who usually have to hear, "turn left......no, your other left" when driving somewhere.

I was under the impression that when looking for dog food, by reading ingredients, you want one where there are at least 2 forms of meat (preferably two different meats) or 1 meat and 1 meal (again, different meats) in the top 5 ingredients. And I understood to avoid byproducts or if they are on the list they should be down near the bottom. I was also told to watch analysis; higher protein for example is not always best.

I've looked at the Timberwolf kibble and it didn't contain ANY meat or meal. Yet, it's listed as a good quality kibble.

And I'm looking at the website now for Natural Balance kibble which says Chicken is the #1 ingredient but when I looked at it at my feed store, there was no meat or meal in the top 10. So unless it was a cheap "close but distant" knock off, I don't understand how this is high quality either.

Or the food I switched to which has the top 5 as meat, meal, meat, oats, meal yet it's considered poor quality. Seems to me like this food would rank higher than Ol Roy but according to these sites, it gets a failing grade. I know there's more to dog food than the meat content but I would think a food with the top 5 ingredients having 4 of them meat would be a much better quality than one that might just have one meat or meal in the top 5. Yet, they seem to both rank together on the "F" list.

I guess I'm just confused at how to really tell the difference. It's like you said, I want my dog to be eating meat, it's very important, yet this Timberwolf brand that is supposedly good quality kibble has no meat in it. So why would that be healthy for my meat-loving dog?

LOL! Your post cracked me up! I am one of those people who also hear "turn left......no, your other left"! LOL! :lol: I don't have any personal experiance feeding Timber Wolf brand but do know several people who do feed it with great luck. Personally I have tried most of the higher quality kibbles on the market due to Blue's horrible digestion issues. I did find it quite humerous a while back when I was tring out Canidae, Blue did horrible on it while doing quite well (for Blue anyway) on Authority Brand dog food from Petsmart! Which is usually listed as a horrible food.

As far as reading lables, I do know that you want good quality protein sources (meat and meat meals) in the first couple of ingrediants and it is best to avoid foods with corn products ( just based on personal experiance). As far a analysis for protein, I am honestly not sure on that. When I fed any of my Great Danes (puppies & adults) kibble I would watch the protein and fat percentages in food because Danes are not allowed to eat foods containing more than 24% protein and 12% - 14% fat...(which of course rules out feeding any puppy foods!) feeding higher concentrations of these can lead to very painful and disfiguring growth dis-orders such as HOD and PANO.

All in all, after my experiance and research I have thrown out kibble and reading lables all together...I now know EXACTLY what my dogs are eating so I don't play a guessing game anymore.. IMO there are just way too many issues with kibble that I am not willing to deal with...but of course that is just one persons opinion on the issue :)

I think whether it has one or two meat sources depends on your dogs needs. For example a dog competing in any competition where it is very active (aglility comes to mind) would do well on high protein food. However a dog like My Kota; who is a very spoiled house pet.. would become fat on a very high protein food.

I think it is wrong to say this one is the absolute best because they each of their unique qualities that might be better for one dog over another. However I do agree Ol' Roy is the absolute worst. :wink: I just had a bad experience with it so I have to say it is the worst.

But I think each doggie parent needs to analyze their dogs needs and find a food that fits within your standards.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Alot of times you can find these better feeds in feed stores, places that carry cattle and horse feeds. Around here those are stores like Purina, Coop, and Shurgain, all are specialty stores dealing in horse and cattle feed, and carry some awsome foods. Infact I'm torn between two right now but am sticking to the slightly lower food because its a larger bag an has the joint builders I need in it. But check your feeds stores, chances are you'll find it.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Agree with Celtechfarms on that one. Most times you can't find alot of the better brands at Pet Stores and Grocery Stores. I was feeding Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul once and I had to buy it from Acco Feed Store because no one else carried it. Alot of the feed stores in my area also carry foods like Innova and Candiae.

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy
    thats why i changed to james wellbeloved - pets at home here in the uk are now doing a food they say is just like jw - made the same with no crappy products and the same natural oils and such.

its called something like wainsright or wainsworth i got a bag to try it out and my dogs didnt seem to notice the difference but then i do have dalmatians so thats not saying much at all!!!
    Hi I am new to this forum, I have just come back from Pets at home with a free sample pack of Wainrights. My two dogs Daisy and Molly are both on James Wellbeloved and both are fantasic with it! the most beautiful coats and dare I say it firm stools :roll: Now! I no it's not good to keep changing a dogs diet? I have hand given Daisy our colliexwhippet a few pieces and she didn't seem to mind what I was giving her, my only problem with Daisy is she can get a doggy tummy when she eats certain foods, Molly Labradorxcollie has a stomach like an Ox, so I am hoping this food is as good as James Welbeloved? I have read the ingredients and it seems to be so similar the only difference is the price! James Welbeloved for a 7kg bag is £19 and for a 15kg bag of Wainrights it's £23.99 so far far cheaper.

Can you tell me how your two Dalmations have been on this food so far? Would love to know before I go and pay out for a big bag of the food :? :D
    Best wishes Mandie

your dogs are lovely btw and welcome to the forum :)

well i still changed over gradually as you would with any food change but there was no difference in stools. my little dal is a pukey dog and can be easily upset but again she went without change.

they both still charge about with the same disregard for anyones knees :lol: it really does seem to be just as good as jwellbeloved all my dogs are doing well on it with coat condition/vitality etc not dropping.

hope this helps :)
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

Daisy-Molly: Those are two of the cutest dogs ever. Our beloved Rita(RIP)
    was the spit-n-image of your lab/collie. I commented over the years to my husband how she looked like a collie 'round her nose and eyes. We never had it confirmed, but looking at your picture, I can be sure now.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the picture.

Hi, thanks for that info :D I went to Pets At Home this morning and bought the 2kg bag of the salmon and potato (lets hope they both like it) I have some of the JMB left so I will use that also so it does not upset there tummy too much!

That photo was taken about a month after we got Molly from the dogs trust in Ballymena, Co Antrim. Daisy is also from there too we got her last October so I am rather new to dogs if I am honest!

We nearly came home with an Irish Settter, but my husband said it would have been too much of a handful but then I am the one looking after them LOL but in a way I am glad that we took Daisy she had been in her bed for 6 weeks shy and timid like all whippetxcollie breeds, she is such a lovely nature of a dog. Molly having the Lab in her is a lot more in your face (if you can get what I mean) she is into everything and she is a tad bigger than Daisy now and she is only 6 months old. She also tends to want to be the boss, which I don't know if I should allow as she was second in?

Well I will give this food a go and see how they get on with it :) P.s it's not a very good photo of Molly side view LOL

Thanks for all your help
    Best wishes Mandie