Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

problem with flies

I have a weird question here... we have two dogs one is a puppy and the other is a young adult labrador, the problem is that no matter how clean we keep the yard or our dogs the older one always have flies over his ears or when he is laying down they get on top of his legs and paws. Not so many, just like a couple of flies but enough to bother him... and now we started noticing that he has like "scabs" (not sure if that is the right word) in his ears, he didnt have them before but we are guessing that it is because of the flies. :(

The puppy can be right next to our older dog and she wont get flies over her... our older dog can be barely inside the house and flies will come in but only fly or lay around him... we have also noticed that even though we just give him a bath, the flies will come back inmediatelly. :?

We keep the backyard very clean, since this is were they both do their "poty business" and not on their walks, but our neighbourhood is full of dogs so I guess the flies must come from some of these houses.

Our dog doesn't seem to be sick or anything like that, so we just don't now what is wrong with him. Is there a way to keep flies away from him???

Try Garlic pills. Most likely puppy is getting scrapes during play fights and the flies are attracted too the smell of the blood.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I've been told that certain insects are attracted to scented "stuff" (like shampoos, colognes/perfumes, etc). Maybe change his shampoo to a no-scent one or get some kind of dog-safe bug spray to apply after you bathe him.

I agree that the flies may be returning because of the smell of an open wound so try to take care of that problem with his skin first. Apply some kind of cream regularly--I've found neosporin works good for these kinds of things but others would argue it's not safe to use on dogs. You may also look at www.jefferspet.com Run a search for something called NuStock for dogs. It's a "multi-purpose" cream that I've found works excellent on healing fly-bites. There is only one size, and it is rather large, but like I said it's a multi-purpose cream so you can probably find future uses for it.

Other than that I don't know what to suggest. I wish I could help!!

There is a fly spray for dogs you can get. And the person above is right. Flys can be attracted to scents so it's a good idea to switch to a non-scented dog shampoo.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

We had good luck with citronella oil. Just a few drops rubbed onto the top of the fur. Head (high up away from eyes), ears (outside top of fur), paws, tail.
    I had to order it from a pharmacy in town, but it does help. Agree with the other folks regarding scents and blood as attractants. I also like the citronella for mosquitoes. The dog insect repellent is a good idea, too. Sometimes it depends on which product is the easiest for you to find.

Citronella Oil is a great product. My company makes it for horses. :D Make sure you do not use too much though. I would be afraid using it full strength may irritate the skin. Try cutting it back with water for dogs. :)
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Or dilute with baby oil--added moisture and will still "stick" to the fur for maximum effect.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason why flies bother some dogs and not others. I have noticed that the dogs with 'stand up' ears (like shepherds and shepherd mixes) have the most problem.

My vet says that flies are attracted to 'heat' so some dogs may have higher metabolisms than others.

No matter what the reason though what works the BEST is 'Swat' a horse fly repellent ointment Idon't use the spray!). It not only keeps flies away but 'coats' the ears and has an antibiotic in it (topical) which will heal the 'scabs' from the previous fly bites (you are right - the scabs ARE from bites and some dogs will never regrow their hair there). Of course his ears will be pink from the lotion but it works 100 per cent. Do not put it on his paws since he will lick them but the repellent on his ears should control that problem too. If it doesn't you can use bag balm or vaseline on his feet - they are both 'thick' enough to keep the flies from biting.

I would not use citronella oil on a dog.

Hi

I will try SWAT first since people from another forum also recomended it, and if that doesn't work or I do not find it I will try the other stuff mentioned.

Thank god our dog is a chocolate lab, otherwise he would look funny with pink spots on him :D

I also dont think I should change the shampoo since both of our dogs use it, and he is a very hyper dog so probably it has something to do with that, you now, his metabolism and body heat or something like that.

Anyway ... thanks for all of the replies, wish him luck in getting better soon

:wink:

If your looking for something to help heal the wounds that is a non irritant you might also want to consider hibitane, it works awsome, cleans up injuries in no time and prevents as well as heals infections.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.