Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: What do you feed your dog??

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kibble or Canned Dog foods.

6 66.67%
  • RAW (strictly raw meats and bones only)

2 22.22%
  • RAW (raw meats and veggies)

0 0%
  • Home Cooked Diet

0 0%
  • Combination of Diets

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't know what kind of vets you've been to, but I don't think I've had the same experience with them. My vet didn't have us put our dog on a Science Diet diet at all. She first advised Nutra Gold, which we went for until the petstore stopped supplying it.

I'm careful about the vets I choose. They're like human doctors to me, they need to always explain all the information, without me having to ask "why?". If there are vets that are advising Science Diet (and I know plenty of dogs that do eat it) because it benefits their paycheck, then I hope I never have to have them as mine! I'll remember that next time around when I get a dog.

I just don't want to feel like I've lacked in proper care by not feeding my dog a gourmet meal.. I honestly don't think he would have ever handled it. He's 13 right now, and I don't want to risk changing his diet. He's too old. And even as a puppy, human food has never settled right in his stomach. And since Cockers don't shed, never had to worry about the hair care kinds of foods.

So, it's not like I'm against it, I just don't think I'll try it this time around. Thanks for the extra info, however.

Totally understandable Araz. I had a Corgi once and EVERYTHING other than Science Diet made him sick. And I mean sick, sick, sick. Even other kibbles. Table scraps, meat mixes, canned (wet) food--even wet Science Diet, made him sick. So I was totally against changing his food too. It just wasn't right for him.

But that's what we were saying--it's great for some dogs, not so good for others. And us, as "parents", know what's best for our little ones. hehe

Arazante-

Hi....I'm sorry if I made you feel like your doing wrong by your dog by not feeding a "gourmet meal". That was not my intention at all. I only intended to inform people about it..I do tend to get on a rant over it just for the simple fact that I have so many people jump my case about how I feed is wrong. There are 15 vets in my area within a 20 minute drive. I have talked to every single one of them and most will try to convice you of buying Science Diet right from the get go.....until you pull out a bag, show them the ingrediants and say "would you eat that crap?" After that I have had a *few* recommend and more suitable brand. One of my family's very first Great Danes (when I was about 7) was trusted into the care of a vet. We fed high quality kibble (the best available at the time) that was a puppy formula recommended by the vet. The puppy came down with HOD 'Hypertophic Osteodystrophy' which is linked to inaprropreate nutitrion for a dane pup...they grow at such a fsat rate that they CAN NOT be fed puppy food, you have to reduce their protein and fat intake. Well to make a long story short the puppy suffered from terrible pain, fever and took a very long time to recover. Now...when I got Brutus (5 months ago) I called every single vet to pick their brains about the best food for my puppy. Every single one of them said puppy food!!!!! HOD, Pano and other food based growth disorders are VERY well documented in Danes and still they don't even think of this. They just say whatever they were taught by the Hill's Co. with no reguard to an animals special needs. So yes...I guess you can say I have turned to doing my own research...if my vet won't do it, then for the sake of my dogs I had better. So honestly when it comes to nutrition, when I find a vet who knows more about Danes nutritional needs than I do, then I will listen, but until then I trust myself, and the respected members of the dane community to guide me in makeing the best desicions.

I am however so very proud that you happen to have a vet with common sense! That is so refreshing and I bet it is a nice piece of mind for you as well. And in my honest opinion, if your dog has done well for 13 years on what you feed him, then I wouldn't change it. Why change it if he's doing well. I am also not trying to say all kibble is bad. There are several companies who are making excellent products now. Before switching to raw we fed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and Brutus did great on it! My sister has fed nothing but Chicken Soup to her Husky since it came out. He is now 12 and is in excellent shape. I guess what everything boils down to is people need to educate themselves when it comes to their pets, that way if by some chance you do get bad advice, you can be comfortable enough to stand up and say "no, that's not right...we need to veiw other options" . Good luck to you and your dog, and once again I am sorry if I offended, I did not intend to.

It's just such a shocker to me that vets would do that. I always tried to feel secure with a vet as I thought they'd be less prone to ..marketing than human doctors and physicians do. But really, thank you for the info. I've never really known about these raw diets, and the links are helpful and do make me consider them. You (and others in this forum) clearly have more knowledge in dogs than I do, and I love to learn. It sounds like it's done wonders for your dog, and that's a very good thing.

Sadly, yes even some vets are suceptable to GREED. I'm glad you appreciate the raw diet links, but also be warned that there are greedy people in RAW also...you can spend a ton of money on the "pre-mixed raw foods" from certain pet stores...and in MY opinion they are not any better than your run of the mill, average quality kibble. If you ever consider a raw diet with any future pets, please do your research, join a few raw feeder's forums and if possible, contact a holistic vet that has knowledge about raw diets, it is not something I would reccomend jumping into without researching....I have been doing it for 5 months (that's not long at all compared to some of the people I know who have been doing it for 10+ years!) so I am still learing. And since it isn't a pre-mixed food that is already balanced..you need to know what you are doing in order to ensure your pet gets a balanced nutrition.

Since you are a kibble feeder I thought I might post this website link for you. I found it very useful and used it when I fed kibble. It is a food grading system for kibble...it takes you step by step on grading the ingredieants in your dogs food and lets you know what your food scores. I would only feed the kibbles that score no lower than a C, but the higher the score the better quality the food. I fed Chicken Soup which has a score of 113 ( an A+) If for some reason this link doesn't take you directly to the nutrition site, just click on the "nutrition link on the left side of the page.

http://www.oldmissiondanes.com/diet.html

We feed Natural Balance I was pleasently surprised to see the Duck and Potato brand on there, wish they sold that here, makes me wonder where their Large breed formula falls, I know my dog is allergic to lamb and that the large breed formula has the Triflax joint builders in it, I'll have to check later.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

My mom uses the duck and potatoe formula for a rescue Golden Retriver she has, and she loves it. The dog has some food allergies and so far has been doing great on this food. It's a bit pricey, but worth it from what she says.....the trick is now when she finds someone to adopt him, she has to find someone willing to keep feeding this food reguardless of the fact that it's a bit more expensive. Supposedly though, he doesn't eat as much of it as he does the other foods they've tried and is still maintaining a nice body condition.

Yep our Chicken and rice formul cost $65.00 Canadian every two weeks for us, but our dogs are well worth it, and with our boy's tricky digestive system its been the best stuff for him so far, though hes still not one hundred percent. I love him to death but I'd like to kill the people who bred him, hes had such a hard life when it comes to food allergies.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I understand what you mean. My Weimaraner Blue is a very poorly bred dog. I adopted him from a shelter and have dealt with tons of issues since the day I brought him home. Over the course of 3 years we have tried almost any dog food imaginable (and spent a small fortune) and nothing worked for him. :( It was so sad to see him every single day with diarrhea. He always had to "go"..at least 4 times daily, and not one single thing we ever tried worked for him. On top of that was the skin conditions. And when we had him on Innova, he broke out in hives...the weirdest thing about all of it was he was still over weight! I don't understand how that could be when he always had diarrhea, plus the daily exercise. And he never ate excessive amounts of food either, he is an 89 lb dog (weighted more before) and never ate more than 6 cups of kibble a day, if he even ate that much. So thats why we started suspecting a medical problem, so we ran test, did blood work, the whole nine yards and everything came back fine. So that's when I started doing some serious research about raw diets. Every since we switched he has been a normal healthy dog. No skin issues, no runny stools...which I think his first solid one shocked him because he just stood thier looking at it with this goofy face. lol So I am very happy with our results and the vet is to, I just wish I could have done this sooner. Brutus hasn't had any issues but I wasn't going to buy kibble and raw so I just switched them both and he loves it! Plus it makes me feel better that I am not having to read tons of kibble bags to find the ones with the proper ratios of protein and fat for his special growth needs. My husband jokes that Brutus is growing soo fast he can "feel" him growing when he pets him. When we brought him home at 7 weeks he weighted 17 lbs. Now at 17 weeks he weight 70+lbs! lol Anywho...I'm rambleing. I am glad that the food works for you and your dog with the food allergies. And I completely understand what you mean by "it's worth it to pay the extra price". I have spent an arm and a leg on my dogs and don't regret having doing it, their worth every penny.