Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Your opinions on spaying during pregnancy or in heat.

How do you guys feel about spaying a dog (or cat) while she's in heat or pregnant? Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on if the attitude of the animal is any different as compared to waiting until they aren't in heat or after the pups are in new homes.

You can spay during the pregnancy, but it's definitely less risky to wait until after the kittens/puppies are born. Some vets wont spay after a certain stage of the pregnancy. If at all possible...I'd wait.
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

I personally wouldnt abort a human baby and certainly wouldn't abort puppys (even if we are overpopulated).

Spaying during heat I'd do if absolutely nessessary. But ideally it should be done before the 1st heat.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Salem you'd be surprised at the number of people who just don't care. :cry: :cry:

Along those lines...when we adopted our dog (way back before i worked in a clinic) we went to have her spayed...and turned out she had 12 puppies inside. You would have never of guessed that... :( I still feel really bad...I don't know how people could willingly do that.
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

I agree with you Salem. I wouldn't have an abortion myself unless it was a life or death situation for my own health so I certainly wouldn't do it on an animal--even if there is an over population.

I guess I've just been thinking a lot about it lately. I took a stray dog in 3 or 4 weeks ago that I was absolutely certain was pregnant but he told me she wasn't and to go ahead and have her spayed. I chose not to because even though tests said she wasn't and no one could feel anything and she was underweight, I still fealt she was pregnant. Anyway. She ended up having 7 not quite 2 weeks later.

So I've been wondering, if a dog is pregnant and the owner or rescue group chooses to abort, would the dog know it? I mean, would she continue to feel and act pregnant? Do you think?

I don't know why I'm thinking so much about it........just curious if there are any studies out there on this.

I think she would be depressed. Just like you would be if you lost a child. There would be a period of emotional and obviously physical recovery.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

I'm surprised everyone has focused on abortion, I know one rescue down here did it because the dog as only nine months old when she was pregnant. But my concern is the consideration of spaying during a heat, if your vet is willing to do that, run, run very far away as fast as you can. Spaying a dog during her heat can cause hemmeraging, she will bleed to death, never spay during your dogs heat, ever.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I had a cat spayed while she was in heat earlier this year. I wanted to wait until she wasn't in heat but unfortunetly, it kinda seemed like she was ALWAYS in heat. We waited for 4 months trying to get an idea on when she was in heat and when she wasn't but her attitude never changed. And every time I took her to the vet, she agreed she was in heat (AirForce--in case you're wondering, my dog vet and my cat are two different people. LOL My cat vet has been recognized by a ton of animal associations world wide--she's absolutely perfect). Anyway. So after 4 months we decided she was one of those cats that always seemed in heat so we went ahead and spayed her. She's doing great. She didn't have any problems with the surgery (though my pocket book did--cost twice as much to spay during heat). And she's healthy now, though a little chunkier than she was but that's common. Sometimes she still acts every now and again like she's in heat and I hate that. But at least I know if she doesn't happen to sneak out the door, she's not coming home pregnant.