Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    No, it was an otc flea spray. Adams flea and tick with moisterizer spray, vet suggested it. The dog has flea anemia--the test showed he was anemic. He's scratching so bad he's scratched the skin raw in some spots. So vet said the flea spray, even though we don't see any fleas right now, would help prevent them if he did get some in the near future. And with the moisterizers it'd help with the dry skin. So no, what I meant was that whether or not he had fleas, using a flea treatment wasn't going to do any harm.

I'm just so aggravated!!! Here we are trying to help the poor animal and it seems over night our attempts to help just made it worse!!! At least he let me wash him, and flush his eyes with water, so that was great. He seems more comfortable now and he did eat a little bit. I'm still aggravated.

Sorry---didn't mean to blow up before.

Have you tried frontline? OTC flea meds aren't very good. The fleas are pretty much immuned to most OTC products. And don't apologize for being irritated...it's hard to sit here and listen to this going on and not be able to do anything...I can't imagine from your side. I was saying calm down because you really seem stressed, and rightfully so. I really would try another vet...the things he's telling you aren't really up to date. I'm glad that he at least let you wash him down yesterday, I bet that was relaxing for him.

What anti-itch medication/spray is he on (besides Adams)? Pyoben and Oxydex are good shampoos for killing bateria. There's plenty others. Some dogs need allergy shots to control itching...and if worse came to worse you could try a corticosteroid.
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

I use Advantix for all my other dogs but last time I used it on him, they said he was really lethargic for 2 or 3 weeks so I'm hesitant on using it again. I've been "caring" for him for over a year now--bringing him home for baths, flea treatments, cleaning his ears and paws (basically the "little" grooming stuff). They dropped off the face of the earth 4 months ago and called me 3 weeks ago said they were in a homeless shelter and the shelter called the pound on the dog to have it removed. So they called me, out of nowhere, to ask if I'd take him. And I did. And you know the rest of the story.

The flea spray was suggested only because the dog won't let us near him. So with the spray I could get close enough to spray his hind end and get a little bit of something on him, even if just for the moisterizer. It was easier and less stressful than having to hold him down to get the advantix or frontline where it needs to be. And remember he smells horrible so it's really hard to touch him. It's one of those smells that burns your nose hairs and even 10 states away you can still smell him.

I am aggravated and stressed out and I don't know what more to do. I knew when I agreed to take him that he was sick, I knew he was. But I agreed to do it because I knew with me he'd get the care he needed. But now it's like he came, he got comfortable and now he's ready to die. It's like those stories you hear about animals that should have been dead a long time ago but wait to die til they are found by someone who cares. You know?

We're increasing his dose of allergy meds tomorrow and going to start on anitibiotics by injection instead of pill form. Fingers crossed in a few days the antibiotics kick in and he won't fight me anymore. He didn't use to be so mean, it just started about a month ago I guess (according to the owner).

And as far as your comment about the vet.........yeah, I think I'm on the same path. I got a stray female in not quite 4 weeks ago and after a couple days I took her in. She was just acting really sluggish and she was underweight but she didn't eat a whole lot and I wanted to get his opinion. Spent a couple hundred bucks on blood tests and ultrasounds and this and that to be told she was healthy--though needed a good 20 lbs added to her.

I took this picture just over a week after we got her.

I tell you what, that was one heck of a thing to wake up to one morning after the stray got a clean bill of health--including being told the u/s said she was spayed!!!!!!!

You can apply frontline without touching the dog, and it's going to be way more effective than any spray.

What's the status on you getting ownership of the dog? Your not the only one who's getting frustrated by all this...it's a very helpless feeling on this side too. I wish I knew more about the situation medically. I really feel as if there's something that can be done to start treatment, and that you just have a lazy nutweed of a vet. I'd get a second opinion...because I don't think he's doing a good job with 'your' dog...and that ticks me off.
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

awww. wanna send me the little brown one :D

what a surprise :) i would have beenin my element, all those puppy hugs - i love when they snuffle in your ears :)
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

I thought Frontline was the same as Advantage? How do you part the hair to apply it to the skin without touching the dog? And isn't it pretty close to the same thing as Advantage? I'm afraid if the A made him sick, the F will to. Wouldn't it?

The brown one's all yours Smiffy! She's the rolly-pollyest of them all. I saw her eyes open last night. They are starting to walk now, it's so funny. She's the loudest and most active one. VERY curious!!! You can't tell from the pic but she has a white spot on her "chin" and it's almost a perfect heart shape. And two toes on each paw are white. She's adorable. I pick on my hubby about the pupps. Our 3rd child (we have 3 daughters) made the 34th grand daughter on his side of the family, no grandsons yet. My hubby has 13 sisters, he's the only. Our dog is a female, the hybrid we rescued a few weeks ago is a female, Momma dog is (of course) a female and EVERY SINGLE PUPPY is female!!! So with the exception of D.J. (who growls at my hubby), there are 14 females in the house. Oh wait..........16..........both cats are females too! LOL

The closer you get to the skin the better...but if you can sneak up behind him enough to reach over top his back you can get it on there enough to work. Mine absolutely will not sit still when it's time to give her meds...worse than kids. :wink: The biggest differences is that frontline is waterproof and works better on ticks. Advantage really only kills fleas on contact, whereas the newer frontline plus kills the eggs/larva as well. I've seen dogs develop nasty rashes from advantage that had no problems from Frontline, and I'm not personally sure advantage is all that good for the dog (but thats another story.) Are you sure it was a reaction from the advantage and not one of many other things he seems to have reactions from? I'd give frontline a shot but just keep an eye on her if your that nervous about reactions.

Obviously clear it through a vet first, since I can only go by what you say here...

How's the ownership coming along? And I really bad for your husband...having to deal with 16 others of the opposite sex. :lol: I thought one male was bad enough...couldn't imagine 16. :roll:

Sorry, I don't buy Advantage. I buy Advantix (the one with tick repellent).

The Active Ingredients in Advantix is the same as Frontline Plus. I buy the Advantix cause it's $10 cheaper than Frontline (I have to special order the Plus whereas the Advantix is available OTC here).

The box says K-9 Advantix 100 repels and kills ticks for four weeks, kills 98 to 100% of fleas within 12 hours and continues for 4 weeks, repels and kills fleas before they lay eggs, larval flea stages in surroundings are killed on contact, repels and kills mosquitoes for up to four weeks, remains effective after bathing and swimming (water proof).

9% Imidacloprid
    44% Permethrin
    47% other ingredients

How different from Frontline Plus is it?

Ah, gotcha. Went by what you said earlier. I've never used K9 Advantix and we don't sell it in our clinic (we have Frontline Plus OTC) but from what little I know about K9A...it's practically the same as Frontline - once a month, topical treatment, blah blah blah...at this point anythings worth a shot though. I'm completely content with frontline...and I've never seen a flea or tick on Lizzy. So I'm not sure if you can get better than that.

Well I haven't done anything different the last two days than any other day but yesterday he walked around and let me not only get close to him but "search" him while he ate. I wanted to look at the spots the Adams tore him up; which look really pink and raw. I'm sure they are painful cause he kinda whimpered when I touched the spot. Poor baby. I feel SOO bad about it but there was a little comfort in that he let me touch him. He still smells really bad.

I did not see a single flea on him. The vet and Animal Control friend said I have to be wrong, that he's got to be infested with as bad as he's itching but I don't see any! He's got a solid build and all his hair is now missing or extremely thin so it's hard to miss a flea on him, not to mention he's a yellow color so a black flea would be seen! All I know is that he does not have fleas and I'd bet my life on it. His skin did concern me though. He's got some dry/scabby spots; probably from itching it so bad for so long. What do you think about an oatmeal base shampoo? Or, better yet, is there a lotion out there for dogs?

Is it possible he's got exema? Can a dog even get that? Oatmeal based lotions/soaps aren't good for excema though, right? I'm really afraid to try much of anything right now, knowing what the Adams did. I found one cooling gel at a local pet store, thought of trying it. Looks like it was an Aloe and Tee Tree Oil gel; said helped with burning and itching associated with hot spots, bug bites and allergies.

What do you think about a double dose of the Advantix? I have two dogs that had fleas, one incredibly infested, so I dosed them both with the 55+ lb Advantix. It helped the infested one A LOT, she's not itching near as bad as she was and when I searched her last night I saw 3 or 4 (which was great cause when I looked last week there were 5 and 6 fleas in one general spot--she was INFESTED--shelter dog, no surprise). Anyway. So it helped her, she's about 40 lbs. But the BIG dog (137 lbs) still seems to be itching an awful lot. She's got a very thick, double coat so it's hard to get to her skin. I don't normally check for fleas on her, I just give her the Advantix anyway. Do you think it'd hurt if I give her another vial today? It's been a week since the last one. Could a double dose hurt?

And what do you suggest for fleas on a nursing dog and puppies? The pups are 3 weeks today, spose if I treat mom with the right stuff it'll treat the pups too. My vet said to use Adams shampoo and double rinse her. But we know how I feel about Adams at this point. LOL Momma doesn't look too bad, only saw one or two on her. But I want to deflea her anyway. She didn't have fleas when she had the pups, but she's nursing two pups from Animal Control and I'm sure they had fleas when they got brought over. But at 3 hours old, there wasn't much I could do.

I should have deflead the other dog we got from animal control when we first got her, I don't know what I was thinking when I didn't. I guess I was just so angry at the dogs' poor conditions. She was in bad, BAD shape. Our animal control is HORRIBLE. I'll have to see if I can find the link to the story in the newspaper yesterday, they left a lot of truth out but it paints a nasty picture nonetheless. Oh well though, can't go back and change it now.

But now I'm de-fleaing 13 dogs!!!!!! I just don't see how D.J. doesn't have a flea on him, it makes no sense. Granted he's all by himself in his own little dog run. But you'd think he'd have something. Makes me wish I remember what kind of flea collar I put on him 6 months ago....cause it's still working! lol