Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need your opinions.

I have a dog that someone asked me to watch for them and last night I noticed a white type substance in his eyes. It's not wet, nothing oozing from his eyes, it's just that corner of the eye they are both white like paint. I suggested to these people that they take it to the vet but they said no. I told them that I think the best thing they can do for it is to put it to sleep--he is very sick, I can tell that (mostly by the way he smells like dead animal, possibly rotting from the inside out according to my vet). Anyway. They also said no to that. I don't know what to do. I talked to the vet about him already who told me he sounded very ill and needed to be put to sleep. But these people refuse. What would you do? I have him quarantined from all my other dogs but with airborne illnesses and such, I know it's only a matter of time. These people are in a rough spot right now, living in a homeless shelter, so if they take the dog back it'll just end up roaming the streets. I guess it's possible being hit by a car would be less painful then the way he's suffering with all that ailes him now. But I just hate that thought. I want to help these people and take care of their dog but the only humane way to take care of it is to have him put to sleep. But they don't want that done.

Give me some ideas!!! What can I say to them to help them understand that putting him down would be the best thing for him?

There's not much you really can do. I doubt a vet can diagnose from a phone call. Perhaps ask them to take them to the vet on your dollar? They can maybe pay you back slowly.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Please please pleeease don't take this the wrong way, but being homeless is not a valid excuse for neglecting your dog. Ask them if they'll turn over ownership to you. If they don't take the dog to the vet, and he continues to suffer...it could turn into a cruelty case. You are responsible for providing medical care for your animal, just as you would your child. They sound like they haven't even made an attempt to get the dog to a vet. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that he's death on four legs without really having him examined and tested (though I don't know the medical situation) but you may try explaining to them that along with caring for your pet medically you are also responsible for knowing when to say enough is enough. If they don't take action now, he's going to die. If an animal is suffering, and you don't do anything about it...then you no longer care for the well being of that animal. They can sign over the animal to you, and I'm sure you would gladly let them see him. It's a win-win situation for the both of you, and the dog could get any treatment. If the dogs staying with you anyway, then I don't see any reason why they would neglect that idea. If they do, ask them straight out if they care about their dog...and if they say yes...then ask them why they are letting it suffer?

If they continue to let the animal suffer, I'd bring in the possibility of getting the SPCA involved, or another local humane department. It's harsh, but you have to follow what your heart is telling you...and do what is best for the situation.
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

Not taken in the wrong way at all. In fact, I completely agree with you and I wish you had posted before I finally got ahold of them. You seemed able to say exactly what I was trying to but couldn't get out.

A very close friend of mine works for our Animal Control (no SPCA here) and she visits regularly as I have one of "their" dogs (a stray dog I have was willing to nurse two puppies after the mother died inroute to the shelter). So I have the puppies and this friend comes over to see how the pup's are doing. And I have one other dog (a wolf hybrid) I took from them that was in BAD shape. So she checks on her too. Anyway. So she has also been working with me on figuring out what I can do with this dog. She is on her way to speak with the dog's owners now. I spoke with the owner a few days ago and since then she won't answer the phone when I call (caller ID). At this point, my local vet won't allow me to bring him to the office because of his appearance (he really is in bad shape). There is a fear of spreading his disease to other dogs at the clinic. If allowed, Animal Control will pick him up and take him to the shelter where they are able to quarantine him and have their vet come to the dog. If they refuse, I will surrender the dog to the shelter (they say since he has been in my care for more than 3 weeks he could legally be considered mine). I hate giving them an ultimadum but the dog is sick. That's all there is to it. He is sick and something needs to be done--and it needed to be done yesterday.

I guess at this point I see it that no one is going to "win" in this situation. If he stays, they win, he suffers. If he goes, he wins and they suffer. But because I'm the one who has to see and hear the dog every day, I say he's the one who should win. Even if his winning does mean being euthanized. At least then I know he's not suffering anymore. I did tell Animal Control to tell them I'm willing to have the dog creamated and the ashes returned to them (if he is put to sleep that is). If whatever his problem is can be cured, they will return the dog to me and he'll be available when they want him back (though last time they asked me to watch one of their dogs, they never came back for him). It took me 4 months to convince them to let me find a home for that dog and I'm afraid this dog doesn't have another 4 months.....or in 4 months he'll be too far gone for treatment.

So, I don't know, we'll see. My AC friend said she'd call me in the morning and tell me what they said about surrendering the dog.

Unfortunately four months is going to be too long in this case. I can understand the fear the clinic has with spreading disease. Your absolutely right though, if the only way the dog 'wins' in this situation is to be euthanized, then you at least know that he's not suffering anymore and that is what is important. Somethings going to get done though...that's a cruelty case if they aren't going to take care of the dog. They'll either HAVE to sign over ownership of the dog, or they'll get changed with animal cruelty. Either way, the dog will be put into a better situation - and by that I mean the ability to receive treatment. Would you be willing to adopt the dog if they sign over ownership? Or let him go to a shelter? The shelter will just end putting him down if he's in that bad of shape. How old is the dog and what kind of known medical conditions does he have? Only reason I ask is I'm wondering if anything is treatable or at least fightable at this stage.

Just on a side note please make sure your taking care of yourself. Certain diseases are zoonotic - can spread from animals to humans - as well...we don't need you getting sick either.
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

I sent pictures and described the dog to my boss (a vet) and with my opinion and the opinion of my Animal Control friend, he is most definately suffering with flea anemia--though we can't seem to find a flea on him. He has got worms that despite continuous treatment he can't seem to pass. We're positive the white, milky "goop" in his eyes is an upper respiratory and/or sinus infection. The doc says being so old and an "outside" dog his entire life, especially in this area, he most definately has heart worms. The big concern right now is that when he scratches himself (which is non stop day and night) he CRIES!!!!! OMG it is the most wicked cry I've ever heard from a dog. I don't even know how to describe it. I get goose bumps and my eyes tear up when I hear him. There is a concern with onset of rabies but the blood work hasn't been completed yet (Animal Control drew blood today). He's got an infection under the skin from probably an old fight wound, slowly but surely the antibiotics seem to be helping it; though we don't understand why it's not helping the URI, which seems to be getting worse. And I can't leave out how he smells like rotting animal on a hot, humid sunny summer day. It's VERY difficult getting within 3 feet of him--the smell is just SO outrageously strong. We searched for 2 or 3 days for a dead animal of some sort under and around our house before we realized it was him that smelled so horrific.

As for treatment at this point, I got some antibiotic eye drops today, maybe those will help clear up his eyes. Doc suggested giving him benedryl, see if that could help any with clearing up the mucus in his nose and maybe help with itching. He's been put on a cream called NuStock which is a multi-purpose cream for everything from ear mites (which he's got bad) to red river mange (though we're 99.9% positive he has hot spots and not mange). I also got something called Betagen which is an allergy/hot spot spray. So it's not that he's not being medically cared for--we're doing the best we can under the circumstances and with the resources available. But it's just not enough. That's why my hopes aren't set too high for him. He stopped eating two days ago and when I tried to give him his pills last night he growled at me and took off running. He did let me pet him today and put the eye drops in, which was a relief. I haven't tried the pills tonight and, to be honest, I dread when I do.

Oh yeah...........they say he's 4or 5 years old but he looks to us to be more like 8 to 10 years old. They aren't sure what he is, we think Lab/Chow mix. It looks like he has arthritus pretty bad as the joints in his legs seem rather swollen, he's a slow mover and it takes quite a bit to get up after laying down. His teeth look "old"--but that could be the years and years of tarter build up. I'm sure being here with me is the first time in his life he's been offered anything to eat other than table scraps (or garbage can scraps). He's missing 4 teeth and looks like he could lose a few more as they are pretty blackened. Unfortunetly, he won't let men anywhere near him so he'd have to be "knocked out" before any tooth exam could be done. But right now that's the least of our concerns....I know it's painful but we're set more on the worms and many infections right now.

Wow, soo beautiful! I'm a big baby when it comes to dogs...especially in pain. Just reading what you've already said has brought tears to my eyes. I'm surprised they just don't shave him down and start working the bacteria and skin infections. All of those conditions are treatable, but he's just not responding to anything. That's sad...very sad. That poor little guy has lived a rough life for only being 4-5...he deserves you, and trust me you've been a God send for him. Even if you have to have him euthanized, at least rest assured that he knew he was loved and cared for...and had someone who fought for him. He would have been in a lot more pain had it not been for you.

Thank you for what your doing.

Now I need a tissue... :roll:

OMG as if things could not get any worse they do!!!! The vet suggested a topical flea/tick/anti-itch spray for the dog to see if that would help. He said even if you can't see the fleas, it doesn't mean he doesn't have any and even he doesn't have any the stuff wouldn't hurt him anyway. So we went ahead and put a light layer of flea spray on him last night and low and behold he has NO hair today!! Now he's missing big huge spots of hair all over his body (with the exception of his head cause we skipped that part). GRRR It's soo aggravating!!!!!! We try and try and try and then this crap happens and we've made it worse!!! So I soaked him outside with the water hose for a good half an hour this morning (I can make my hose spray hot, warm or cold water so no worries that I was "icing" him down--and it's 80 something outside so it's a great day for a hose bath). Anyway. Hosed him down for half an hour, used a mild dog soap on him, hosed him down again. He was good and sopping wet. I don't know what the deal is. I've used the stuff and the same brand shampoo on him before and he had no problems. Why all of a sudden would he have a sensitivity show up from the same "stuff"???

GRRRRRRR

Dear Grrrrrr :lol:

Okay first off...calm down. This wasn't your fault...what tests has the vet ran so far? Your vet shouldn't be guessing what kind of infections and skin related irritations are there. He sounds kinda lazy - no offense. Some topical creams tend to remove the hair...is this one of the products you've used before?

He told you fleas can't hurt the dog? Or the medicine? Hope I misread that.