Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Becoming a pug breeder

Hi. I am writing because my brother-in-law (who by the way knows absolutely nothing about owning pets) has decided that since he likes pugs and he's seen them in our local paper selling for pretty good prices, he wants to breed them. Keep in mind the fact that he's never owned a pug or any other dog for that matter and his biggest motivation for this "becoming a breeder" Is that he found a 2 year old AKC pug female for very cheap so he thinks if he breeds he will make tons of money. I have already tried to tell him the pitfalls in this and why it is morally wrong to breed just for profit but he won't listen to me(I'm female and in his mind "females are full of s***...yea I know he's a jerk). Does anyone know of any pug websites that he could visit that will tell him the truth of the matter???...He needs to know the facts of how much work will be involved, the high possiblity of the bitch needing a C-Section ect. ect. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it, and the only sites he's been looking at are the ones that "glorify" breeding dogs into this big money making things and I think he needs to see the other side of the story before he brings more puppies into the world that may have health problems or worse yet, puppies that end up in the shelters. Thanks bunches!
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/australi.../breeding.html
    http://homepages.apci.net/~angb3/DontBreed.htm

Oh My! I hope you can convince him not to. Let him know he will need to find a pup who's parents have been shown and placed well. Plus he will need to show his dog and prove that his pug is worth breeding. Then he will need to do test. Then he will need to line up buyers for the pups. He will need contracts, extra money in case of complications and he must be willing to keep puppies if something should go wrong and he can't place a pup. I'm sure there is much much more he will need. I hope he can come to his senses.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Hi! Thanks for the websites. I emailed the sites to him so hopefully he'll read them! He is not concerned with showing or producing healthy quality pups...his only concern is the money he will make.....so I figured if I showed him the financial downside then maybe he would reconsider. They really should make people pass a test before they are allowed to own pets! The things people do with their pets disturbs me at times.

You don't even have to send him to websites, send him to a vet! A good vet won't appreciate someone who knows nothing about breeding taking a dive into that interest purely for cash.

It's rude, but if I were you and he does start to breed, I would let people know his pugs are not professionally bred. It's illegal to breed and sell dogs without a liscense. He could get in a lot of trouble.

Is it really illegal to breed and sell dogs?? I've never bred dogs before so I've honestly never looked into the legal side of it......How do you find out if its illegal in your state? I don't understand how there can be sooo many puppy millers and back yard breeders advertiseing in the local papers and they not get into trouble. Anywho...I've given him all the information I can and they only thing I can do is hope that he reconsiders. Thanks for all the advice.

It is not illegal in the United States. Vets will also not get into the ethical fight of whether to breed or not. They can discuss things like how much it costs to have a c-section done. Otherwise they won't say anything regardless of what they are thinking.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

It's in the best interest of the vet to not take sides, though most of the clinics I've worked for are all for spray neutering and are against breeding. They wouldn't turn down a dog, but they were definitely against it...and had brochures and such out about how irresponsible it can be and the benefits of adopting shelter dogs. I hope you can convince him otherwise. It'd be a shame for him to risk pugs lives doing something as harsh and breeding, with absolutely no experience. He'll soon find out the cash he's looking for wont be there. Sad. :cry:
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

When I said take him to a vet I also said "someone who knows nothing about.." which means, vets do not care much for people who do something like this when they know nothing about it. They will educate him and let him know about all the risks and costs.

It can be illegal.

Here's a quote from the Animal Welfare Act: Pet Breeders- Anyone breeding pets for the wholesale trade must be licensed. You also may have to be licensed if you sell dogs as breeding stock to other breeders. Some small-scale breeders can qualify for an exemption. Annual license fees are based on 50 percent of gross sales of regulated animals.

This is how he can exempt:

Hobby Breeders- Small-scale breeders with gross sales under $500 per year are exempt, as long as these sales do not include wild or exotic animals, dogs, or cats. If you own no more than three breeding female dogs or cats and sell the offspring, into the pet channels only, you are exempt.

So basically, should he be making more money than $500 a year, or in this case, not know what he's doing, he possibly will need a license, and if not, could face legal issues.

Here is the rest of the Animal Welfare Act, and I think your brother should read this: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/awlicre...reg.html#hobby

Well...my brother in-law decided not to breed Pugs....not for the reasons I had hoped he would, but because his land lord said he couldn't have any pets! (that shows you just how much thought and research he put into this before deciding to do it) lol Thank god for small favors. At least we'll be one less "unethical breeder" short, and there will not be any more pugs in shelters needing homes (at least not by my brother-in-laws doing anyway) But thanx bunches for the websites and info..very helpful! :D

Very good to hear. :lol: :lol:
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez