Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: out side riding

out side riding

Hello everyone.

Thanks so much for tha backing up advice but heres another question. How do you calm your horse down while riding out side.

thanks so much.

Teach him the "calm down" cue which is to lower his head.
    Do you get Perfect Horse magazine by John Lyons?
    Covers a lot of these things.

Hello thanks for your reply and yes since we have gotten him. He does the head down extreamly well and both on ground and in the saddle it just doesn't seem to work out side like it does in the arena

thanks
    megan

Hi everyone I just have another question about riding outside.
    When you have been riding outside what are some objects that have scared your horse??? I would like to know so my dad and I can use these items so it is more unlikely for our horses to freak out while riding.
    Thanks soo much

Megan

I'm fortunately that my horse wasn't spooked by much. However I've been on others that are spooked by just about anything...deer, rabbits, people, odd/loud noises. Snakes a pretty common too. It's that season again...be careful of underground bee hives. We get those A LOT around this area...and I usually get hit once a year. Last year we got hit on a trail ride with about 10 of us, my horse ended up running into the water and threw me off...I hit a tree that had fell in the water and managed to break some ribs and had to be hospitalized for the amount of bee stings I got. They had to pull me out of the water. Wasn't fun. :( Just be careful. Horses are great...just so many dangers.
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

Thanks so much airforce. You just triggered something in my head. My horse is deathly afraid of hoeses I think he might think it is a snake. Well actully my horse is pretty much scared of ....EVERYTHING lol. I have to say he looks big and tough and hes definatly the man of the heard lol. But when it comes to noises, bags, balls... he turns into the biggest chicken Ive ever seen. Thats why I need to know some more things to use to sack him out.

No problem. :) It's always interesting to see them look so tough, yet become a huge baby around little objects. I had to give up ownership of Peanut about a month ago due to the fact I'm going away for a year with the military here shortly...but hopefully I'll be able to regain ownership when I get back. I know the girl who took her.

p.s. watch out for them bees! :lol:
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez

Actually almost all "spooking" comes down to head shyness.

Try this. Round pen your horse and get him to stand on the other side of the round pen, looking and standing facing you. If you can not round pen your horse, then you would need to learn this step first. If you can round pen, then do so and him then have him look and face in at you.

Take your lasso, walk up to your horse and sack him out with it. Rub it up and down, all over his body and if he moves, send him around the round pen, work him HARD. Let him stop ONLY in this one position of the round pen and then sack him out again (do the head LAST). Once you have him standing quietly and taking the rubbing of your lasso all over his body, his head, ears, neck etc, then go stand in the center of the round pen and try to toss it - GENTLY over his head.

He WILL move. Send him away and around, HARD, three times around the pen, and then make him stop and look, facing you, at the same spot (this is the ONLY spot he is SAFE and can stand still - he will learn this quickly that this is the place he WANTS to be).

Then continue to lasso him. Once he stands there and lets you toss this rope at him (you don't have to be any good at lasso-ing, it is just the tossing it toward his head that you are making as your goal, with him STAYING there and standing still), then you are done.

Your horse will be much less spooky.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to teach your horse not to be afraid of mailboxes, and garbage cans, and geese and bags in the road. You simply can not expect to DE-Spook him by showing him EVERYTHING, because you'll never be able to have EVERYTHING in your arena. You can't get a dump truck and drive it up to him and then a motorcycle etc. etc etc.

So your goal is to simply desppok him and this leads back to head shyness. Get him over that - get him to stand still while you toss a rope around his neck (GENTLY - DON'T THROW IT AT HIM) - then your horse will be almost spook free.

Thanks Kerry,

One thing is my horse is not scared of cars at all, nor is he head shy. My dad and I have tried this many times and hes ok as long as I talk to him lol its kinda funny.

If my dad is training him and he doesn't want to anymore he tries really hard to come to me and once my dad gives him to me he hides his head behind my back. Hes my BIIGGGGGG baby lol.

I have also been working with tossing a rope over his head and he is perfectly fine with that.

His whole life hes been trained in a barn with barrels so those kind of things dont bother him. But thank you for the advice.

Megan

Quote Originally Posted by Megan0524
    Hello thanks for your reply and yes since we have gotten him. He does the head down extreamly well and both on ground and in the saddle it just doesn't seem to work out side like it does in the arena

thanks
    megan
    Then you might not have it quite good enough yet...he should be able to take 14 steps with his head in the dirt. (well not in the DIRT but almost so his nose is rubbing in it, but not quite). If you can get 14 steps with him in or out of the arena, you're golden. If not then keeping worjking with him outside the arena until you can get it.