Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

walking problems/leash problems..

not that its absolutly nesciary, but I would like to know how to train a dog to wlak on a slack leash by my side.. any tips or mehtods?

second problem, although it is getting better, my malamute constanlty is trying to bite and hold his leash.. when we are wlakin but need to stop for a mintue to tlak to some one its at its worst.. I know its him trying to lead me.. I've tried everything from tabasco sauce on it to vics vapour rub on it.. nothign works.. hwo to you correct this problem?

I don't use a choke chain and woudl prefer not too, but if I have to I guess I have too.

hello again. i havent seen you in a while.

dont do this if you actually have to get somewhere. i love lead training but i do get funny looks :lol: ok mine only get out the door if they are sitting nice and wait. then they are called out the house and have to sit while i lock the door.

as you turn to walk on your dog will pull to go, just stop. mal will probably try to pull for a bit longer then look back as if to say well come on then.

when he looks back have you hand low by your side and say here. round he shoud come and off you go leaving with your left foot. he again will pull ahead - just stop as soon as the lead is tight. do the same again.

i know it seems nuts and it will take some perserverance but it really does work, when he does walk nice tell him he is a good boy give loads of praise and an odd treat. when he does get to the stage where he will walk nice before tugging then give a warning, say here and if he comes back into line say well done if he carries on to pull say ah ah and here in a warning tone. if he comes back then still use well done good boy but if he just goes to the end of his lead anyway then just stop.

basically he will see if he pulls his walk will stop and if he walks to heel he gets to go. i use this for all my own dogs and my fosters and it works well.

hope you are well,smiff
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

I've been reading, just not posting hah.. so I've been around here and there..

hmmmmmmmm I don't think this will work for him yet. He is too curious. when we walk he runs around me sniffing and chewing everything. He never really goes forward.. he coudlnt' care less if I stood in one spot on the street and let him walk around me for 4 hours.

I guess this is something that will have to wiat until he's a bit older and walking forward.

any tips for biting the leash?

As for teaching your dog not to pull on the lead, Smiffy's advice was good.

DO NOT use a choke collar or any other punishment device. It's just not neccessary or most effective, aside from the issues of humaneness & potential to cause injury.

If you feel you need some equipment that will help you with control, a halter is great for most dogs. It gives you more control and doesn't hurt the dog's throat, like even a standard collar can if they pull or jerk. You will have to 'desensitise' the dog to it BEFORE using it on walks, so that he's happy to wear it. It is a training aid, not an answer in itself to pulling, so you still need to train as per Smiffy's advice. Some submissive dogs, even with careful desensitisation work & lots of positive association, never go well in a halter, generally because it has a subduing effect. This can be a plus for overly pushy or boistrous dogs. The vast majority of dogs are happy with a halter, so long as the prep work is done well.

I'd also add to Smiffy's advice that adding more than the occasional treat to immediate praise will greatly enhance your training. Also, depending on the length of time this pulling has been going on, it may require lots of time & consistency to 'cure'.

As for the tug of war with the lead, teach him some conflicting behaviour(something that he can't do while grabbing the lead) such as 'drop' to the ground, and reward this with treats or a tummy rub, or something Really Good. While he's lying down, let go of the lead, so you don't get stuck still playing the game with him.

yes sorry a halti or gentle leader are fantastic tools for lead walking. i used the halti on both of my deaf dalmatians as i couldnt give a sign command while they were off tugging like trains :lol:

it didnt take long for them to get used to it but dogs will still rub their nose up and down your leg. star she would come to me for her nose scratched when we took a break to sit down :)

its up to you how long you use your halti for theres nothing wrong in using it for life if you so wish. i dont know much about the gentle leaders and nso cannot tell you anything about them.

the halti was designed by dr robert mugford who as a sufferer of back problems needed something to help him out with training and so he made the halti.

the halti gives you control over the dogs head so youhave control of direction and stopping the head going down into their i'm gonna tug you all the way to the park position :)

i would advise buying the halti link. this goes around the ring under the chin (there will be instructions on the packet) and clips on the collar. this means that if your dog backs out of the halti (which means its too big) you still have a fail safe and your dog is still secure.

which ever you go for spend some time in the shop looking at them and make sure you try it on in the shop. i have found that the haltis are always too big for the dog it says so look on the back for your breed of dog and try on the size below first :)

both sorts allow your dog to still pant and drink and so on. champ was right about stopping mal from chewing his lead too.
    in with your walks throw in some downs and sits to keep him on his toes :)

bet mal is getting big now. i would love to meet him one rather large fluff ball bounding towards you :)

I personally do not recommend the halti, too often when trying to correct the dog you end up twisting the halti into the eye and this is definitly not comfortable for a dog, I mean how would you feel with a piece of nylon pressed into your eye? Not to mention the neck damage that can be done if the dog is corrected sharply or the dog lunges out to the end of the lead.

A choke collar when used correctly is a good training aid, but often is misused and can actually collapse a dogs trachea, very scary. The best thing is a good obediance teacher who can help you teach your dog to heel. Even buckle collars will do a lot of damage to the treachea if the dog is allowed to continue pulling. In fact probably the best training aid when teaching to heel is a prong collar. Its impossible to choke your dog with a prong collar and it does not harm the dogs throat.

But remember if you get a prong collar use it only while out walking and make sure you read up on how to use it properly before using. This is a great way of teaching your dog because he actually teaches himself. When he starts to pull the prong collar gives the neck a pinch, discourageing him from pulling without even you having to say a word or disiplain him, he will immediatly stop pulling to stop the pinch, self tought lessons are easier to learn from then the confusion of a correction given too late.

As for biteing the lead one of the best things to do is to use a chain lead, the feeling of the chain runing against his teeth will discourage him from doing, again a self tought lesson. Once he has desided the chain does not feel good on his mouth, you can go back to the nylon lead.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

with a halti i dont 'correct'. if by correct you mean to snap the lead?

i find there is no need. if a halti does ride up to the dogs eyes then you have too large a size. get the next one down.

the use of the choke chain some trainers feel it works as the noise works as a deterrant and so use a half check. this means the dog is not to be strangled and the trachea is not to be damaged and you still have the clinking noise.

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy
    yes sorry a halti or gentle leader are fantastic tools for lead walking. i used the halti on both of my deaf dalmatians as i couldnt give a sign command while they were off tugging like trains :lol:

it didnt take long for them to get used to it but dogs will still rub their nose up and down your leg. star she would come to me for her nose scratched when we took a break to sit down :)

its up to you how long you use your halti for theres nothing wrong in using it for life if you so wish. i dont know much about the gentle leaders and nso cannot tell you anything about them.

the halti was designed by dr robert mugford who as a sufferer of back problems needed something to help him out with training and so he made the halti.

the halti gives you control over the dogs head so youhave control of direction and stopping the head going down into their i'm gonna tug you all the way to the park position :)

i would advise buying the halti link. this goes around the ring under the chin (there will be instructions on the packet) and clips on the collar. this means that if your dog backs out of the halti (which means its too big) you still have a fail safe and your dog is still secure.

which ever you go for spend some time in the shop looking at them and make sure you try it on in the shop. i have found that the haltis are always too big for the dog it says so look on the back for your breed of dog and try on the size below first :)

both sorts allow your dog to still pant and drink and so on. champ was right about stopping mal from chewing his lead too.
    in with your walks throw in some downs and sits to keep him on his toes :)

bet mal is getting big now. i would love to meet him one rather large fluff ball bounding towards you :)
    he's HUGE.. I have to take him to the vet this week and I'll put up some new pictures and his weight.. I got him all excited today when we were playing outside.. he tried to run from me and ran out of leash, the collar just snapped.. a 4.5 months old dog snapped a collar made for "large breeds"...

thanks for the tips.. all is going well

that moment when you realise whats happened is just horrid!!

the dalmatian pictured snapped an extending lead (now only buy the tape leads this one was rope!!)

hope you got him back ok, his face must have been a picture! stars was and then she ran in massive circles taking the mick out of me :)

hope the need for the vet is nothing serious and all goes well for him :) take care xx

Hi! I totally agree with Smiffy's suggestion in her 1st post. I use this with all of my dogs and it works great!! But...you will get weird looks from the neighboors! lol I have been using it with my Dane puppy everyday for about 15 minutes at a time and it has taken about a weeks worth of consistent work... but it has paid off because he very rarely pulls the lead anymore. :) Good luck...hope you find a solution that works for you.