Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What breed is my dog?

Hi,

I'd like to hear your opinions. The owner said that she was part pitbull and he wanted a full pitbull instead, so he gave her to us when she was a puppy. She's grown quite a bit. We've only had her about 5 months. Right now she weighs about 60 pounds. We're no longer in touch with the owner, but I would like to know what the other part is. We may never know, but we would still like your opinions. Also... She has a lot of black spots on the back of her tongue. Is the extent of the spots normal? Does black spots on the tongue mean anything? I'm in no way a dog expert. Thanks in advance. Much appreciated. :D

Here is the link
    http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i33/Blm18/

helloand welcome
    I think your dog is a Pharoh Hound\Pittbull mix.
    She is so cute!
    Animals always become best friends.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. I had never heard of the PharohHound, but I see what you mean. 8)

I wouldn't worry about the tongue. There are a lot of mixed breeds that have spotted tongues.

Might I add, your doggy is very, very cute and pretty!

Chimaera says thanks for the compliments, guys :D

One of our dogs has a spotted tongue. Her gums, insides of her cheeks, etc are all spotted as well. Don't know if this accurate, but I've been told that when you mix a breed that has dark coloration in its mouth with one that has light coloration, you can get spots.

C

she is very pretty with such a lovely name (how did you come to that name btw?)

my dals have spotty gums but not spotty tongues and the only breed i know of with a blue/black tongue is the chow chow but that is no help to you at all, sorry :(
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

Thanks for your kind words, Smiffy! I got her name from Greek mythology.

What's the breed??

Chimaera? I love that name! Its so original. By the way she's a beautiful dog. As to the type of breed she is, a friend of ours just adopted a dog from the local Humane society that looks almost identical to you dog accept he is a shade or 2 darker than Chimaera with white on his toes...the dogs dad was a shephard/ chow cross and the mom was a pit bull. I don't know if he has spots on his tounge and mouth though...I'll check and get back with you. :D
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

Hi!...I was recently browsing the web and found a few breeds that have dark tounges or have spotted tounges. They are:

Chow-Chows
    Shar-Pies
    and German Shephards occasionally have spotted tounges but most breeders prefer pink tounges. Anywho...hope that helps.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras