Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I make a good guard dog?

Hi, I'm looking for safe ways to make my dog more aggressive toward strangers. Right now my dog is a pussy cat and I can't stand it. Whenever a stranger comes around to the fence she does nothing. I want her to bark visously and bite any intruder who breaks into my home. Can any one give me any tips? Thanks.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5706/dog2ej.jpg

Why would you want a dog to bite? Even if the dog is in your house you can be sued and the dog likely to be euthanized if he did bite. Your best solution is to invest in a security system.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

oh dear. attitudes like this always make me so sad.
    what breed is she? if by genetics she is a gaurding breed then you need do nothing because when the time comes it will be natural.
    there is no need to bark at someone walking past then fence because there is no danger.
    a stranger to your house is no danger, what if she was encouraged to be aggresive to all visitors? the gas man? your partner? a trick or treater? it doesnt bear thinking about.

from the info you have given so far i see a dog thats smarter than her owner and thats scarier than a neurotic dog how thinks she needs to bite everyone.
    if thats the dog you want you dont deserve the dog you have. why dont you either appreciate the good well mannered dog you have before you screw her up or give her to a family who would appreciate her and buy an alarm with flood lights.
    well your at it an armed guard? i here ex sas men are for hire.

Real men just want tough dogs. Maybe where you're from men are brought up to be pansies. Oh well, I'll just look elsewhere for help.

you cannot be serious!!!
    i hope the site owner takes your email address and details and reports you with them.

i reckon its more along the lines of your the pansy and you need a dog to hide behind!! WIMP.

Report me to whom? I have not broken any laws. Last I heard asking for help on how to make a good guard dog wasn't illegal.

no but you have problems when you want to create an aggresive dog to hide behind thinking you look 'tough'

if you go through with this and not appreciate the wonderful dog you have you will end up having your once great dog destroyed and either a financial punishment or and i hope the judge will learn of your beginnings of 'training' your dog so then a custodial sentence.

its all well and good wanting an aggresive dog so you look like a real man but you will not have the control to teach and so control, you instead will hap-hazardly turn a friendly dog into a nuerotic wreck that you stand no hope of controlling and then the above will happen. when the above happens the down side is a once great dog is pts the upside is that the world around you sees you for the silly little jerk you are.

look let me put it a different way. this is muppet, a shih tzu.
    muppet has never bitten but i dont doubt she wouldnt should i have an intruder. i have signs saying as much.
    muppet will guard and warn off strangers BUT ppl i invite into my home are not subjected to a growling snarling drooling mini beast they are greeted with three waggy tails and lots of slobber.
    the point being although she is small, fuzzy and a family pet she is also well trained and i have enough control over her for 'stop' leave it' and 'no' to be effective.
    everything about her that concerns guarding is all natural and she is not even a guarding breed, if you can train your dog, have fun with your dog and earn the respect of your dog then you will be seen as being worthy of his efforts to guard, but that is not growling and snarling at the fence or visitors.

please please take the time to get to know your dog. just visit a local training club and you will be surprised just how many blokes are in attendence. at mine ive got blokes with almost every breed you could think of from dobermann to amstaffs and from labs to papillons.

you can have what you want and not train her to be a crazy dog and i think you will have greater respect in your community by stepping forward and training your dog properly and well.

You're overreacting way too much. What makes you think I want to hide behind a dog? Just because I want my dog to be tough? What's the number one reason most people choose pitbulls when shopping for a dog? Because they're cute and cuddly? No, because they're known for they're strength and toughness. Police train dogs to attack people, does anyone criticize them? You're acting as if my dog will turn into a psycho killer dog or something. I just want a dog that's more aggressive. Is that so wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by steven01
    You're overreacting way too much. What makes you think I want to hide behind a dog? Just because I want my dog to be tough? What's the number one reason most people choose pitbulls when shopping for a dog? Because they're cute and cuddly? No, because they're known for they're strength and toughness. Police train dogs to attack people, does anyone criticize them? You're acting as if my dog will turn into a psycho killer dog or something. I just want a dog that's more aggressive. Is that so wrong?
    Yes. You are not a trained professional. You do not have the knowledge on how to maintain control of your dog at all times. Instead what you will create is a dog that will attack anything and everything. Do you want a childs life taken because of your mistake? How about your own? All we want is to show you that you cannot and I repeat cannot train this dog yourself. If you wish to train your dog fine. So be it. But enroll your dog and yourself in a training program with a liscensed professional! If you do not andy our dog kills a child or maims someone you will be legally liable and the dog will be destroyed.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child