Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: nervousness

rosemary

nervousness

I have a race mare who apparently is very nervous. She starts her works out well, and then gets tense under the rider, (and she's had several riders) holds her breath, and fades. When the work/race is over she is drenched in sweat and breathing hard. Will ACTH help a mare like this?
    rosemary

ACTH is upposed to be very good but I have no personal experience with it. Is she a Thoroughbred? What do her trainers say? I wonder why she gets tense under riders...has she been whipped or had bad previous experiences? Sounds like she is nerbvous about what is "going to happen" rather than what "is" happening.

Kerry

I have many off track race hrses and presently racing horses. For the nrvous ones we used a suppliment called cool and complete. There is a variety of suppliments that you can used, also if the grrom is rushing her, the track being busy, or exercise riders that are in a hurry will all cause you mare to be nervous. The key w/ TB's is to take you time. If you can get on the track when it is quite and try a women rider, they have lighter hands. Some times the equipment doesn't fit right, the bit is to harsh, double check everything.