Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Goodbye to Galliantly Rebel

My mothers horse Lacy foaled her baby. Unfortunately it was a lethal white baby. Lethal white is a genetic deformatlity that happens in Overo horses. Mom was really looking forward to this baby. She bought this mare pregnant and was really looking forward to having what was most likely the last baby to be foaled on her farm.

Blessings to our little white angel. He's resting comfortably now in the Summerland's.

Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

aw bless them,i'm sorry.
    how has the mare taken it?

Poor Mom (both)

One thing is for certain...the foal was precious, because only the best seem to slip away from us all too quickly. I'm a horse lover but not a horse expert. How is the mare doing? How old is she? Any possibility that she could try again? Is the lethal white genetics?
    Take your time answering. Get through this time first. Thoughts are with you & yours.
    Jan

Lacy is physically fine. Though she is grieving. When a horse grieves they refuse food. She hasn't ate since yesterday. They had the vet out today to check on her but there is really nothing that can be done at this point.

Lethal white is a genetic defect in overo paints. It can happen 15% of the time if you breed to another Overo. Lacy was not bred by my mother. When she was bought she was already pregnant. And she will never be bred again as long as she stays on the farm. Lethal white causes the foal to not develop the intestinal tract properly. So at first they will act fine and then when they are not able to properly remove waste from their system they colic. It's a slow and torturous death. So we decided once he was showing signs of colic that the best course of action was to relieve his suffering.

At this point because we know Lacy has a probability of throwing lethal white babies it is in her best interest to never be bred again. Even though she has the bloodlines and confirmation many people want it simply wouldn't be in the best interest of the mare or my family to take that risk.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

I am so very sorry Salem.
    That is just heart breaking.
    Just heart breaking.
    Sorry for you, your mom and the mare.
    What a terrible shame.
    Much affection...

Here's a picture of him.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

HI Salem, I m very sorry for your loss and its difficult time for you. Its really heart breaking. My heart goes out to you.
    May he rest in peace. My condolences for you.