Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Western vs English wich one is better?

Hi,

I would like to take horseback riding lesons but I need to know wich one is better WESTERN or ENGLISH?

For riding purposes like I would like to get into jumping?

Thanks!
    I love dobermans...

there is no, to very little jumping in western, its a matter of choice and prefrance. I rode english for years and switched a few years back and much perfer western. My cousins are huge into english hunter jumper and hate western because they found the saddle uncomfortbale. Unfortunatly when it comes to a western saddle one sixe does not fit all, and if one saddle is uncomfortable changing to a different one could make all the difference in the world.

Have fun, riding is a great pass time and very enjoyable, let us know what you chose and if you need any help looking for an instructor who is a good match for you.

Heather
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Ya, it all depends on your preference. Try both out and see what you like best. I do both and I personally like both. It all depends what you want to do. :lol:

whatever you like the look of better!

I would, however, not suggest jumping in a Western saddle, as there can be nasty accidents with the horn, and from the horse's point of view, with your weight further back, it's not good for them, but there's no rule saying you need a Western saddle for western riding.

I agree whith champ totally as well. You could get hurt if you jump in a western saddle. :)

The only real 'jumping' I've done in a western saddle is on trail rides. But like everyone has mentioned it's not generally a good idea safety wise, and if your looking to get into competitions that involve jumping then English would be your style, of course there's nothing that says you can't ride both. In the western world we have our competitions as well, but in the form of shows, pole bending, barrel racing - which is extremely fun and where my interest is (barrel racing.)

There's the common misconception that english riders are stuck up snobs, which isn't always true - though I know some extremely stuck up english riders. The western side has their share as well. Either way, there's going to be people you get along with, and those who you can't stand...which applies to anything really. Try riding both and see what you like, and always know you can do both.

If you have any question about either style let us know and we'll be glad to help. :)
    The question is not, "Can they reason?" nor, "Can they talk?" but rather, "Can they suffer?" ~Jeremy Bentham

Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game. ~Paul Rodriguez