Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: is this animal neglect?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

4 100.00%
  • no

0 0%

is it animal abuse???

:( our neighbor (and my mothers childhood friend) leaves the springer spaniel alone alot when she goes over to her sons house. She doesn't even ask us to take care of the poor dog anymore, and I guess just expects us too. This is getting my mother really upset, and I am getting upset, too. If we just decided we didn't want to watch her, the dog wouldn't get fed, and she barks. Alot. and LOUD. So, she is annoying, and hates being left alone. She barks so much that she drinks all of her water, too. Springer spaniels need alot of attention, isn't this neglect? What type would it be, and would it be enough for us to report to the authorities? Quite frankly, were hoping she'll move up. Please help!
    sincerely,
    annoyed neighbors

as you are expected to look after this dog why not ask if you can adopt the dog?

at this stage all the rspca would do is 'give advice' to the owner.
    yes its neglect but as you do go in the owners can argue its a long standing arrangement. for the 'authorities' to have any power the dog would have to suffer,ie you stop going in. that would be just awful.

all i can see is you and your mother are being taken for granted.

Yes this is animal abuse. but as Smiffy said,

Quote Originally Posted by smiffy
    at this stage all the rspca would do is 'give advice' to the owner.
    yes its neglect but as you do go in the owners can argue its a long standing arrangement. for the 'authorities' to have any power the dog would have to suffer,ie you stop going in.
    Animals always become best friends.

true, true

that's why were mad. my mom's easy to take advantage of. Me, well sometimes, but most times, i'm pretty hard to take advantage of if its the wrong person. the thing is, i like her, so its hard. we can't adopt the dog cuz she's kinda... crazy : lol: i don't mean 2 sound rude, but its sincerely true, and she's always anxious. its kinda pathetic, and we feel sorry for her because she'd have a better chance at being relaxed if our neighbor didn't ALWAYS leave. she also has a full-time job, and used to have a cat and another dog, both which died, so the poor dog's all alone. I mean, the owner may not realize it, but its annoying and rude. I almost wish we lived in a apartment complex, or townhouse or something, because then we could complain, and the landowners could warn them. You know what i mean? thanks for the advice, though.
    sincerely,
    annoyed neighbor
    ps plus we have 2 dogs. well. make that one since sunday :( :( :(

How late/early is the dog out, perhaps shes disobeying the noise laws in your area, in which case you have grounds to call you local animal control.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

hmmm

she's probably barking from 10- like whenever we go over there to shush her up. she doesn't shut up!!! it drives us crazy!!! which stinks, cause i don't think its the dogs fault.

Re: hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by cherrycherry
    she's probably barking from 10- like whenever we go over there to shush her up. she doesn't shut up!!! it drives us crazy!!! which stinks, cause i don't think its the dogs fault.
    You could always watch the dogs at your neighbor's house and not bring it into yours. Have you made an offer to babysit her? If the dog is not getting food or water it is abuse. You could ask her if you could come over when she is away and let the dogs out, feed her, give her water, then put her back in the house.
    The dog probably has seperation anxiety. It is hard to cure, because someone needs to be with the dogs.

seperation anxiety can be put right but as c s f said someone needs to be there to work with the dog.

u don't get it

were TIRED of doing this crap for her, and we love dogs, but now she won't ever call me anymore to do it, and just EXPECTS us to do it. If it weren't illegal, it throw her off the cliff. lol, not the dog though! and plus, that dog DOES NOT go into our house, just our deck with our other dog in hopes she'll shut up!!
    ugghh that neighbor is getting on my nerves!!!

Fight the right way

This is difficult, like a moral rock & a hard place.
    The extremely selfish neighbour has put the dog as last priority & put other people on guilt watch. She counts on you doing her job out of guilt should something go wrong with the dog. Either way, she can't be bothered. Poor dog!!! This is a person that should be legally forbidden to have animals.
    The biggest wrong in these situations is that the dog has suffered & will probably be punished for barking etc. The person gets basically nothing for setting up such an impossible situation for you & the poor animal. One day, I will share a story or 2 about my daughter & I & vigilanty acts.

Contact all the animal welfare groups that you can find in your area. Get lots of support & backing. Don't tackle this alone.
    Keep us posted.
    Jan