PDA

View Full Version : Chewing Things

markinnc
01-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi,
This is my first post here. I have a great 2 year old lab mix, Amy. She does everything that I ask very well. She is a house dog and spends most of her time inside. She has never had an accident and she tells me when she wants to go out or come in. She has an invisible fence and can roam on two acers, (she does not need the collar any longer).

She sleeps on a mat next to my bed and has free run of the house, when I am there, (even when I am sleeping). I have tried several times to allow her to roam the house when I am gone. She chews things and I believe that she is showing her displeasure at not leaving with me. It has gotten expensive and I have had to leave her in a crate when I leave. I dont like leaving her in the crate but I cant afford to keep replacing things that she chews. I am certain that she knows that she is doing something bad because on those eight or nine occations that I have left her out while gone she meets me at the door with a Im in trouble look.

Any advise on how I can correct this problem?

tanks,

Mark

celtechfarms
01-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Unfortunatly this is a common problem, mainly caused by seperation anxity. Normally it is recommened that you create your dog until they are two and have learned what is acceptable and what is not, basicly until they are fully grown, but most dogs now don't mature until they are about three. Theres nothing wrong with createing and its not crule, in fact it is the safest thing you can do. Think about it, you can leave her in one place, where she is safe and calm, or leave her out where she can something that perfeats her bowel and ends up costing thousands in surgury or her life.

Creating your dog is the right thing to do, and I encourage you to continue doing it regularly for another year, then make sure your house is clean, all garbage is out of reach then let her have free roam, you may find a huge change in her at that point.

smiffy
01-07-2006, 03:09 AM
i crate train all my dogs and they are perfectly fine in there.
give her a kong in her crate when you go out and she will soon learn that if she only gets the kong when you are not there and she is in her crate then its not all that bad. :D