PDA

View Full Version : skin problem

mybabyshai
01-01-2006, 03:01 AM
One of my miniature pinschers has been battling a horrible skin problem for more than four months. We have tried steroids, three different antibiotics, skin biopsy, and recently a culture of her wounds, nothing has helped. No mites, no bacteria, no autoimmune disorder, just multiple raised areas that are like crustations, have a small amount of exudate at times, other times, a fine yellow dust. They itch, she scratches like mad and they bleed. Multiple bumps all over her body, face, ears, back, chest, legs, etc. I am now trying a prescription diet. I was feeding her Nutro and Natural Choice. ...any ideas? We are going crazy! :cry:

smiffy
01-01-2006, 04:56 AM
hi
im sorry your going through this it must be miserable for you and your dog.

i have a friend who has a yorkie,he has skin complaints too that come up all scabby then bleed its a vicious circle.
it has been found that not only is he allergic to fleas but to flea treatments also. could it be a product in the home thats aggravating him? even shake and vac could be the cause.

kerryclair
01-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Have them do a culture to see what the dog is allergic to - it may be that the food you are feeding, even though you are switching foods may have the same ingredient, like wheat or corn or something simple that your dog is allergic to and causing the problem...?

rajne
01-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Sometimes a dog can be allergic to the wheat or other grain in the food. If it's due to mites or some other type of allergy, what worked for a friend's dog was that she got rid of whatever she thought might be causing the problem . She changed the food to preservative and by-product and grain-free . She also used apple cider vinegar like the kind you get from a health food store and she sprayed it on her dog and let it dry. She did that whenever her dog scratched. She also put brewer's yeast powder on his fur and it got rid of the mites and fleas and it didn't matter if he licked it because it's got lots of vitamins in it for good skin and coat. and oh, yes, she said too that she added some kind of oil like safflower or soy peanut oil. In fact, her dog drank about a pint in two days . She wanted to see if he'd like it and he sure did. I guess he really needed the oils. I guess you could try and see if your dog will take like a cup or something like that just to get things going then 4 or 5 tablespoons in his food every day. Whatever your dog needs. I guess your dog will let you know by begging for more.