PDA

View Full Version : dashhound was breed

roselady781322000
12-11-2003, 12:23 PM
:?: I would like to know how long it takes a dogs to have puppies. My dashhound was breed on Nov. 1 by a neighbors sm. dog. Does anyone know how long it takes for the puppies to arrive.

kerryclair
12-19-2003, 11:09 PM
Was this a planned breeding?? I'm sorry if I offend, but you really have no business bringing puppies into the world if you don't know anything about the whole process. The gestation period for dogs is about 60 days. If this was not a planned breeding, and was some sort of accident, why is your dog not spayed? I would really suggest that you volunteer at a shelter for a few days. See how many dogs and cats are put down every signle day. Hold them as they are put down, because there are so few homes available. Once you do that, then decide if you really think it is worth it to have your dog not spayed or neutered. What do you plan on doing with the pups when they are born?

Sheka
12-30-2004, 04:26 PM
I have to agree with kerry! thats terrible, im 13 and i volunteer at a shelter all weekend, and i dont like people breeding dogs but its 10 times worse if you breed them and dont even know what your doing! in my opinion if you care so little about your dog and didnt even reserach about you breeding her, or spay her so she wouldnt have puppies..your not at all a very good dog owner.

Go to ur nearest SPCA and look around

jennylynn
12-30-2004, 08:40 PM
TOTALLY agree. There are SO MANY animals in shelters right now, there is no need to be breeding your animals unless you're a responsible, ethical breeder.

Roselady, you should be taking your dog to the vet for checkups during pregnancy. Please get your dog to a vet and ask them for as much information as they can give. I truely hope that you dog doesn't have any birthing complications. You should make sure to have an emergency vet lined up in case there are problems with delivery.

RedyreRottweilers
12-30-2004, 10:00 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :( :( :( :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

SalemWitchChild
12-31-2004, 08:00 AM
Well I didn't expect that attitude out of this forum. People come here for information. To rag on them because a mistake was made is downright rude. There are better ways of making your point without making someone take offense.

RedyreRottweilers
12-31-2004, 10:56 AM
:?: I would like to know how long it takes a dogs to have puppies. My dashhound was breed on Nov. 1 by a neighbors sm. dog. Does anyone know how long it takes for the puppies to arrive.

A simple net search would garner you more information on canine reproduction than you could read in weeks.

Try it.

You made it here and were able to join, you can probably handle that as well.

Look up RESPONSIBLE BREEDING too, while you are at it.

In answer to your question, average gestation in canines is 63 days, plus or minus 5 days either way.

Small bitches like Doxies can have all SORTS of whelping complications, including death.

You should read up on whelping problems in toy/small bitches, and pay particular attention to the parts on how to identify a whelping emergency, and eclampsia in small nursing bitches.

You can find a lot of good whelping info here:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/Breeding.htm

You should also call your county animal shelter and ask them how many dogs and cats they destroy there every year. I can guarantee you will be shocked.

So that you don't add to this already terrible problem nationwide, you should require that all the puppies be spayed or neutered.

Since you clearly cannot keep your bitch safe from other dogs during her season, and since it is much better for her, if your bitch gets through all this alive, best to spay her as well.

Best of luck, keep us informed.

:D

jennylynn
12-31-2004, 04:22 PM
First off, how do you know that this was a mistake and that she didn't intentionally breed her dog?
Secondly, why is it that, even if it was an accident, the dog was bred on 1 November and she waited until 11 December to get info?
Personally, I see nothing wrong with the responses written by everyone.

kerryclair
12-31-2004, 06:14 PM
Actually that original post and my reply was from a YEAR ago (2003). I just happened upon it in another topic (rodents or something) and moved it to the correct topic (here).

I think that the point Salem makes, is something I often try to remember. (not always successfully!!!) So many people come to forums like this and they are so ignorant it makes your hair stand on end. You want to throtle the life out of them.

Then I remember.... ME.

My husband brought home a rottweiler almost 20 years ago now. We made EVERY mistake you can make. We never researched the breed before getting one...we had NO idea of lineage or background, we trained her half heartedly and never heard of a crate.

We were a DISASTER.
Back then there was no real "internet" like today but there was a little service called GEnie and another called CompuServ and I logged on and found some pets forums. I posted with exuberance and all my ignorance and people quickly corrected a lot of my practices and thinking. They gave me training advice and pointed me to some good books and gently told me where I was going wrong.

Now I am an educated, responsible dog person with years of experience and volunteer work under my belt. I've managed animal forums for GEnie, MSN, CompuServe and Delphi, Best Friends, and I started this one. I do websites for various spca's and shelters and I stay abreast of the latest news.

Had I logged onto that computer board and been "shredded" or spoken nasty to, I probably would have logged off and never gone back. I'd still be ignorant, I'd probably be a back yard breeder trying to make some money and my dogs would be aggressive or just plain stupid, thanks to my own ignornace and lack of knowledge. I thank goodness that the people I met, took me in hand and helped me along the right path.

So while I agree with every single thing that was said here in this thread, there is definitely a point to what Salem says. I am just as guilty, if not more so of chasing people away with my testiness at their stupidity...yet there would have gone "I"..

Know what I mean?
So if we can try to be patient and try to help people, while at the same time quietly reprimanding the behaviors..we might make GOOD pet owners out of them rather than chase them from the boards.

Just something to think about and remind ourselves about. Maybe we can catch each other. Sometimes, you just can't help yourself though when you read some of this stuff...but if we can ... we'll be doing more good for the animals in the end.

My two cents...
Kerry

SalemWitchChild
01-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Thank you Kerry. Thats exactly what I was trying to say. Its not that I don't agree with the messages in this thread. But I disagree with the way it was presented. Just because we are not face to face with a person does not mean we should not be nice and cordial to them. Even if we'd rather rip their hair out. Educating a person is much better than screaming at them and they walk away. When they walk away, they forget about you and your message.