PDA

View Full Version : missing tooth - is this a breeders responsibility?

krikstiine
12-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I bought a puppy from a foreign breeder and the puppy is 6 months old now and the vet told me that her missing P3 will never come out. My question is would this be a case were a breeder should be responsible and offer a new puppy from her future litters or is it just my unluck? The puppy was bought as show/breeding and we do not have anything like this discussed in the contract.

I would like to hear general opinion on situations like this. Ok, I understand that breeding is a complicated thing but a missing tooth is quite important if I consider breeding from this puppy in the future...

celtechfarms
12-15-2005, 04:40 PM
If the pup was sold to you as a show dog, and has a fault on the dog, then by all means go back to the breeder, show quality, means sho wquality, and there for should not carry such a glaring fault. So either a money compensation or a switching of pups is in order if that is the case, espically if you signed a breeding contract.

smiffy
12-16-2005, 07:03 AM
if your dog was sold and advertised as show/breeding quality then that is what you should get and you may have a case with trading standards
but i would try talking to your breeder first but please dont give up your pup its not his fault hes missing a tooth but instead see if you can make a financial arrangement or take a future pup but for less.

if you do take an other pup do make sure you check everything over thoroughly and some breeders give you a 72hour free time so you can have your pup vet checked.

RedyreRottweilers
12-18-2005, 09:50 AM
FWIW, if the puppy is an import, you are probably SOL. Europeans do not generally guarantee dogs like many people do in the US. AT least not in Rottweilers.

If you purchased a show prospect puppy from me, and it did not have all it's teeth at 6 months of age, I would offer you the option of purchasing another puppy at 1/2 price, after you alter the one you currently have.

I sell all my puppies for what would be considered a pet price in my breed, so I feel this is a reasonable solution.

I would not use any dog with a missing tooth for breeding, but even if you don't, it can happen from time to time.

smiffy
12-21-2005, 06:20 AM
also as you cant breed with your dog please consider neuturing so you dont have any accidents running around.