View Full Version : where tp start with reporting animal cruelty on horse

mlinnane
12-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Hello Everyone
I am sure this is not the correct forum, but I am looking for
help for two horse that stand out in a -3 to -5 degree temps
with very very poor shelter from what I can see they do not have
a water tank, they eat snow for water and I am sure are never
grained and judging from their bellies are loaded with worms.
this person has been reported for animal cruelty on many seperate
occasions in the past the state police have paid him visits, 2 winters ago some of the people in the area stopped along the road (the horse are pastured their) and threw hay from the road for these poor horses
and the only thing the owner did was place a no trespassing sign
up as he was mad people had given his horses hay and callled the state
police on them for trespassing.
This is a very rural area, so sometimes getting officals to act
on animal cruelty is very very difficult. But when the local people stop
and THROW THEIR HAY!!! This tells you how bad things are. In the summer when it is easy to care for the horses they have hay and water. But when it comes winter I do not see a tank or electric line stretched out to keep water infront of the horses also their shelter is open on all sides so I do not understand how that protects them from the wind. To call the local authorities is a waste of time. And as he still has the horses I do not see how calling the state police has done any good at all. WHERE DO YOU GO TO PROTECT THE POOR HORSES???? Does anyone have any suggestions as who I can call to have them investigate this so these poor
horses do not suffer another terrible winter again this year?
The local person is appointed and only works a few hours a week and to be honest he will do nothing. When they send a state trooper he will be the first one to admit he knows nothing about horses, so nothing generally happens. There is no county agency and I have not been able to find a state agency yet. What would really help is someone who knew horses from an animal sanctuary to evaluate the horses living conditions and the horses themselves. We have 6 inches of snow on the ground and the winds howls and the wind chill factor here is maybe -10 or -15. IT is hard to watch these horses in these conditions.

SalemWitchChild
12-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I would call the best equine vet around and ask who they know to contact. What is the shelter like? You said it has shelter but no walls? Sometimes people erect lein-two's which are three sided buildings facing the back towards the wind so it breaks the wind when the horse stands in it.

Can you see the horses ribs predominatly? Is the horses flanks sunk in. Thats the part right before the hip bone. Can you see the spine? Normally these area's will be showing up very well if he is being starved. Is it possible to take a picture of the horse from the road? If so email the photo's to your local government agencies and your mayer. Many times it just takes persistance to get help. The reason it's hard to get help for horses is because it's so hard to find them homes afterward.

smiffy
12-15-2005, 04:36 AM
then this is the rspca cruelty hot line.0870 55 55 999.

if you are us then would the spca not run a similar phone line?

smiffy
12-15-2005, 04:38 AM
if they cant help then the ilph will definatly be able to help out.

i have no contact for them right now but if you want me to search it wouldnt be that hard to find them.

(international league for the protection of horses)