PDA

View Full Version : Spaying is the answer?

Jerryjackie
12-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I had a question about spaying. I want to breed my dog in a few years, she is a golden. But now I don't want to anymore because I don't care. I just want a dog and don't care about making money on the puppies.

My question is; do you only have to worry about your dog mating when it's in heat? If not, then would I have to worry about dogs trying to mate with her after getting spayed?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, I have no knowledge about spaying, I just want to protect my dog!

celtechfarms
12-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Once spayed she will no longer be breedable, but that wont stop a male dog from mounting her. As for heats, she should be spayed before her first heat as heats can change her personality and will attract male dogs from all over. It would be best to have her done as soon as you can, but if she is already in heat then you will have to wait until she comes out of heat, otherwise you will be risking her life. Talk to your vet they'll let you know when would be best to spay her.

Jerryjackie
12-10-2005, 07:37 PM
Ok, so even though she gets spayed, she could possibly have an encounter. I think I will have her spayed just for the fact of her personality.

celtechfarms
12-11-2005, 08:10 AM
She may, but it wont effect her in any way, male dogs are just presistent, even after being fixed they will still mount. You needen't worry about her getting preggy or anything, but a male dog will mount just about anything really, lol. but diffently, spaying by far out weighs the health risks of leaving her intact.

Jerryjackie
12-14-2005, 02:42 PM
Okay, She will be getting spayed in a month. I asked the vet the same question and he said that if I get her spayed before the first heat, she won't be able to be mounted. He said it was because after the first heat, their vagina opening gets bigger and it stays that way. Too many dogs around my place. If she isn't able to be messed around with at all then I will be happy.

So she will be spayed in one month! YAY!

smiffy
12-15-2005, 05:54 AM
thats great you getting her spayed. i only wish more ppl were responsible enough to do it before the obvious happens.

good for you :D