PDA

View Full Version : Lab Vomitting after Drinking Water

Brandy2222
11-27-2005, 09:42 AM
My 11 year old lab vomits up her water with some white foam immediately after drinking. She coughs a few times prior to vomiting. She eats fine without vomiting, and she does not seem sick. She gets daily exersise and seems active for her age. Looking for answers?

SalemWitchChild
11-27-2005, 09:46 AM
How long has she gone without water? I'd give the vet a call tomorrow if she still hasn't held down water.

Brandy2222
11-27-2005, 10:02 AM
She is able to hold down some water if she only drinks a small amount and does not seem to be dehydrated.

kerryclair
11-30-2005, 11:12 PM
Has she suffered any muscle loss in her head?
Sort of making the bones in her head appear more pronounced?

petsalive
12-01-2005, 07:48 PM
Normally when a dog drinks fast and is very excited it will take in as much 'air' as water causing 'reflux' of what the stomach perceives as 'too much'. Try putting a rock or dish inside his water bowl so that he cannot drink so quickly, OR use a very shallow dish so that he can't 'tank up' all at once.

stargirl
12-06-2005, 09:18 AM
Normally when a dog drinks fast and is very excited it will take in as much 'air' as water causing 'reflux' of what the stomach perceives as 'too much'. Try putting a rock or dish inside his water bowl so that he cannot drink so quickly, OR use a very shallow dish so that he can't 'tank up' all at once.

Exactly. My dog does this as well, but she's just a little Bichon, not a big Labrador!

For my dog, just using a dish with smaller amounts of water more often works the best for her. If we notice her drinking too fast or too much at a time, we direct her attention elsewhere to get her to stop drinking for a moment.

This has helped us a lot and hopefully your dog isn't getting dehydrated from minimal water consumption. A vets visit should be set up if your lab continues to declining in water intake.