PDA

View Full Version : tail feather problem

Lora
11-23-2005, 10:16 PM
my mother has a cockatiel that always pulls his tail feathers out !
She doesn't know why his doing it can someone help us to figure it out please ?

SalemWitchChild
11-24-2005, 10:12 AM
I think they do it when they are "multing". Sp? Or when they are nervous/stressed. I don't know how to stop it though. If you think the bird is stressed perhaps move it to a more secluded area. Sometimes if you have the bird out in the open where visitors or other animals are always coming around it can make them very uncomfortable. One of the birds at work does it all the time. He hardly has any feathers now. :cry:

Keev12
03-28-2009, 12:47 AM
You can look into getting a product called "pluck no more" should help from it pulling its own feathers.

Javacolours
04-24-2009, 05:39 PM
As far as I know, that's a bad sign. When preening, they only move the feathers around, not tear them. Chances are, you either have a very bored or unhappy tiel on your hands. Maybe you should try possibly buying new toys (remember to leave them out by the cage for a few days before putting them in, so that he can get used to it) and letting him out of his cage more often. Also, giving him a bit more attention could possibly help the situation too.

Tishawn45
01-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Sometimes if you have the bird out in the open where visitors or other animals are always coming around it can make them very uncomfortable. One of the birds at work does it all the time. He hardly has any feathers now. Crying or Very sad.