PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know about manx cats ???

Lora
11-21-2005, 01:04 AM
hi , i have a pair of manx cats and was recently told i could not breed them as it doesn't work that way with them.
can anyone tell me why this is ? :?

SalemWitchChild
11-21-2005, 03:46 AM
There are millions of cats put to sleep every year because there are no homes for them. Why do you want to add to that problem?

Lora
11-21-2005, 04:03 AM
for your imformation i have people whow want my kittens , so why dont you be less judgemental. i know that millions of cats are put to sleep every year and i dont do things im not sure off.
i have had 5 litters of kittens and found a happy home for all all the time and they are still happy
my pets are my children and i always put the FIRST !!!!!

celtechfarms
11-21-2005, 07:10 AM
This might help in explaining it;

Health...

The tailless trait can be associated with abnormalities of the anatomy of the hindquarters, leading to problems secondary to abnormal anal openings in kittens, spina bifida in kittens, and constipation in adults. Kittens may have an unusual hopping walk but adults should have a normal gait.

Summary...

The Manx is a difficult cat to breed. Manx are not prolific. The trait for tail length in cats is carried on a single chromosome, of which any given individual has two copies. The tailless trait is associated with early embryonic death, so most kittens carrying both "tailless" copies of their tail length gene die before birth. To maintain the breed, therefore, one must strive to create animals that have one "tailless" copy and one "tail" copy of the tail length gene. This is achieved by breeding "rumpies" (the tailless variant) to "risers", "stumpies" or "longies" (the tailed variants). The overall impression of the Manx cat is that of roundness; round head with firm, round muzzle and prominent cheeks; broad chest; substantial short front legs; short back which arches from shoulders to a round rump; great depth of flank and rounded, muscular thighs. The Manx should be alert, clear of eye, with a glistening, clean, well-groomed coat. They should be surprisingly heavy when lifted. Manx may be slow to mature and allowance should be made in young cats.

Jenmm
11-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I grew up with the manx cat and did some breeding what celtechfarms said is very true. we had a tailess and tailess breed (our fault we should have relocated one for the while) but a lesion i will never forget!! There were 4 kittens all tailess 1 lived till 9 weeks old the reast died at earler ages. they had pockets in there colen witch made it diffecult to poop. and other inturnal problems. please hear what celtechfarms said because it is very importent. tailed manx are easyer to find due to there undesirable trait (a tail). people dont understand that they are just as funny and smart.
i had a manx names yeller he learned to sit and stay, give paw, and roll over. his father was stubby and rowool because it was if he had 2 personalitys. thanksgiving was his favorite time of year. he would gaurd that turkey for days and even learned to open the fridge. and cricket she was funny you new when it was her, when she pured she sounded like a cricket. i miss them they have been gone for a long time now but it feels like just yesterday!

Ragdoll Mom
11-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi Lora: Please don't be upset because someone suggested not breeding. If you purchased your cats from a breeder, you may have a provision in your purchase contract wherein you agree not to breed them. If you go against that you area placing yourself in competition with that breeder and you know the breeder will find out. You could find yourself in court over it. Also, some have no idea what they are doing, and they can create defective or ill kittens--it's not a pretty site. Professional breeders breed to improve the breed and register and show their cats. This helps keep the lineage show quality and buyers know they are getting the best. Breeders without knowledge tarnish the reputations of the good breeders, and the good breeders really hate them. There are pet quality and show quality--you have to be able to understand all that otherwise you're cheating your customers. Because you're asking here, you have to be realistic and know it is a sign you're not as knowledgeable about the breed as you should be before you start breeding. Your other answer would be that before you begin a breeding business, to work for a professional breeder to learn as much as possible. I like to believe that when you post on a board, that you're looking for honest and true answers to your questions. Personally, I would like to see more people go to shelters to obtain pets.