PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose another dog!

Chumly
10-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi,

I have an 9 year old Chow that has a rather unusual combination traits. I want to get a puppy to make sure there is a good transition between the dogs so I will always have an active watch dog / companion. I want a puppy that has as much of the good stuff with as little of the bad stuff, and I don’t mind the odd stuff. I want the puppy to adopt the better traits of the Chow easily with little training, but be able to deal with the Chow if she gets pushy about food etc.

I had a Chocolate Lab before the Chow, that animal was no watch dog, was too in your face and attention seeking, but more fun if you had the time and energy for it.

Any suggestions on breeds, breeders to ensure the right beast?

Good Chow Traits
She needs no fence and she never wanders off (no leash or fencing laws where I live)
You can leave food for her 24 / 7 and she will not overeat
She can stay outside all the time and not be any worse off for wear and tear
She is very low maintenance and quite independent
She is not in your face and does just fine with a moderate amount of interaction
She is an excellent watchdog and neither is overly dangerous or friendly, she knows “friend from foe” innately
She is a good companion for me and the other half
You can leave her for a week if there is enough food and water with no worries at all
She will not poop or pee on the property - never has, even as a puppy
She will not dig or chew on the property or in the house - never has, even as a puppy
She has never destroyed or wrecked anything on the property or in the house - never has, even as a puppy
She is a good size @ 70 lbs.
You can take her places with little worry of her running off, or stealing food, or bothering people or other dogs, and she works well without a leash as she will not go too far away

Odd Chow Traits
Her personality is more like a cat than a dog
Definitely a “one man dog”
She will not retrieve or play with toys and could care less about other dogs

Bad Chow Traits
She is very stubborn
She cannot easily be trained with food as she would rather starve first
She cannot easily be trained with praise as she would rather walk away
She is very possessive about her food bowl and will protect / attack other dogs if they approach the food
As she has aged she has started to become more possessive / protective if other dogs approach the property and I am nearby, she will fight hard
She has mega hair which falls out every spring, it’s a lot work if you want to keep her well groomed and clean
She is getting a bit edgy as she ages

RedyreRottweilers
10-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi,

I have an 9 year old Chow that has a rather unusual combination traits. I want to get a puppy to make sure there is a good transition between the dogs so I will always have an active watch dog / companion. I want a puppy that has as much of the good stuff with as little of the bad stuff, and I don’t mind the odd stuff. I want the puppy to adopt the better traits of the Chow easily with little training, but be able to deal with the Chow if she gets pushy about food etc.

You have had an exceptional dog. You must not expect any puppy you acquire to be like your current dog, as all dogs are individuals.

I had a Chocolate Lab before the Chow, that animal was no watch dog, was too in your face and attention seeking, but more fun if you had the time and energy for it.

Any suggestions on breeds, breeders to ensure the right beast?

Good Chow Traits
She needs no fence and she never wanders off (no leash or fencing laws where I live)

Please do not expect any puppy to stay without fencing. This is not safe for any dog. Dogs should be fenced for their own safety. Dogs who tend to guard need even more to be fenced properly. Should they make a wrong decision due to their genetic tendency to be territorial, many times they pay with their lives. They may also cause serious injury or death to small animals, children, or elderly. Fencing is not optional for responsible dog ownership.

You can leave food for her 24 / 7 and she will not overeat.

Free feeding is not natural for dogs, and I do not recommend it after weaning. Dogs are canids, and as such, are designed to be opportunistic feeders. They are evolved to eat when food is available as a survival mechanism. Most dogs WILL over eat when free fed. In addition, you miss a key sign of trouble or illness. MOst dogs will go off food when something is wrong. You may miss valuable lead time on an illness if a dog is free fed.

She can stay outside all the time and not be any worse off for wear and tear
Sorry, but I don't feel dogs should live outside permently except in very unusual situations. Dogs view us as their pack, and they suffer when they live separated from us. All dogs need plenty of time outside in good weather for exercise and play, but they also need to feel they are a part of t heir human pack, and that means being welcomed into the home, the "den" area.

She is very low maintenance and quite independent
She is not in your face and does just fine with a moderate amount of interaction
She is an excellent watchdog and neither is overly dangerous or friendly, she knows “friend from foe” innately
Dogs should really not be placed in the situation of making these decisions or determinations. Another reason for good fencing. I would say you have been very lucky with this dog that she has not injured a person or other animal over the years.

She is a good companion for me and the other half
You can leave her for a week if there is enough food and water with no worries at all
Ok, this last statement disturbs me. No dog should be left alone for a week at a time. Suppose there is a medical emergency? Suppose someone comes up and she attacks them? Suppose a kid wanders up and the dog decides the kid does not belong on her turf? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

She will not poop or pee on the property - never has, even as a puppy
And what do your neighbors think of your dog coming to their property to leave her excrement?

She will not dig or chew on the property or in the house - never has, even as a puppy
She has never destroyed or wrecked anything on the property or in the house - never has, even as a puppy
Puppies need education to learn how to behave. Your dog is quite unusual in never chewing or digging. Almost ALL puppies chew, dig, bark, jump up, and in general act like puppies do before they are trained.

She is a good size @ 70 lbs.
You can take her places with little worry of her running off, or stealing food, or bothering people or other dogs, and she works well without a leash as she will not go too far away

Odd Chow Traits
Her personality is more like a cat than a dog
Definitely a “one man dog”
She will not retrieve or play with toys and could care less about other dogs

Just below here you say she has become possessive/protective if other dogs approach, and will "fight hard". Yet you also state she does not care about other dogs. ???

Bad Chow Traits
She is very stubborn
She cannot easily be trained with food as she would rather starve first
She cannot easily be trained with praise as she would rather walk away
She is very possessive about her food bowl and will protect / attack other dogs if they approach the food
As she has aged she has started to become more possessive / protective if other dogs approach the property and I am nearby, she will fight hard
She has mega hair which falls out every spring, it’s a lot work if you want to keep her well groomed and clean
She is getting a bit edgy as she ages

I would recommend you do a lot of research as to what is realistically required to bring up a puppy who is bred to have territorial or protective instincts.

I'm not sure you are prepared to take on the raising of a puppy, as your experiences with your current dog are VERY untypical.