PDA

View Full Version : bad skin?

thumper
09-14-2005, 06:50 PM
I hope someone can help me. I rescued a boxer mix about two months ago other than the usual worm problem and kennel cough she began this terrible scrathing. I don't want to use any chemicals on her. She has no fleas I checked her over several times and I do have an older dog that does not itch at all. She is scratching so bad she is tearing her self up. Desperate for my little one.

SalemWitchChild
09-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Check with the vet about food allergies.

wychow
09-20-2005, 02:23 PM
A dog who scratches all the time may have allergies, a bacterial infection, a fungal infection, or a skin parasite - just to name a few of the possibilities.

But since you have another dog that does not itch at all, there are a great possibility that your boxer might have either contact, flea or inhalant allergy. Usually, the vet will check if your dog has infection at the same time. If there is, the vet will get your dog antibiotic. If your boxer doesn't have any infection, chances are your vet will get her medication to control the allergy. If your dog react to the medication and doesn't have any sign of itchness, then the vet will confirm that your dog has allergy and further diagnosis might be need if you want to identify the allergen and try to avoid it!

If the medication doesn't not help the itchness, chances are your boxer might have food allergy. For further details regarding canine skin problems or allergies, check out my website!

martin
11-22-2005, 07:47 AM
If you keep your pet in a clean place and also keep your pet clean and groomed it is very less likely o develop such allergies and infections. I'm not that copetent to answer your specifi query though..I think it would be best if you take your pet to a vet and seek his advise rather. All the best!