PDA

View Full Version : Dogs running after eating.

Mr.m
07-21-2005, 09:33 PM
Hello, I was wondering if it is safe for dogs to be running after they eat. I know that its possible they can get cramps but I have been told that if a dog runs after eating there is a high possibility that it could die. I hardly believe this but I don't feel like chancing it so I though I would research it a bit. If anyone has any information on the matter it would be greatly appreciated.

RedyreRottweilers
07-22-2005, 05:50 AM
Heavy exercise after a meal is not good for any animal.

The body is directing blood flow to the digestive system, and heavy exercise interfere's with this, not to mention the stomach is full right after a meal.

Dogs can suffer from a syndrome called GASTRIC DILATION, with or without VOLVULUS. (GDV). This is commonly called "bloat". Certain breeds are more prone to it than others, larger breeds especially those with narrow and/or deep ribcages. Great Danes, GSDs, St. Bernards come to mind right off, but any dog, and esp any LARGER dog can suffer from GDV.

It is an immediate emergency, and many dogs die even with prompt and excellent veterinary intervention.

It is recommended that there be no heavy exercise for 1 hour before and at least 2 hours after a heavy meal.

More info at this link http://www.moonstruckmeadows.com/Bloat%20(GDV)%20Study.htm

Or do a search on Bloat, GDV, or TORSION in dogs.