PDA

View Full Version : Pug in Distress! Need advice, please!!

Pugzilla
06-22-2005, 06:51 PM
I have a three year old pug. She is now in heat. She is panting like crazy, her breathing seems distressed. It is the same kind of "distressed" breathing she does when we take her to the vet, so I believe it is either hormonally or emotionally related.

However, she just cannot seem to settle down after her walk this afternoon. It was about 80 degrees and somewhat, but not too terribly humid. She went for a walk, not an extended walk, just a normal walk. Since then she's been pretty much panting like mad. She's also trying to, well, hump everything, and she just seems to be beside herself.

I have turned the air conditioning on and will cool the house off to about 65 degrees. I have given her lots of water. She ate her normal dinner with no problems and did not throw up.

Is there anything I can do for her? She was not fixed when we got her and frankly, we just spent so much on her initially, we were hoping to wait a few months before we got her neutered. We didn't know she was going to go into heat this month! I have no intention whatsoever of breeding her, we just love her so much as our girl.

If anyone has any ideas, or can reassure me she'll be okay, that would be great. Do I need to rush her to the emergency vet for this behavior or is it normal in a pug in heat?

Please help! And thank you for answering a "newbie" first time post!

Pugzilla
06-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Well, I see very few views and no replies, so this wasn't the resource I'd hoped for. However, I'm new to the site so I don't know how things work quite yet, and don't wish to criticize. I think I probably posted in the wrong place, maybe one that doesn't get as much "traffic".

At this point, no replies are required. I managed the situation myself.

RedyreRottweilers
06-23-2005, 09:10 AM
I missed your post until today, pugzilla.

Sounds like your girl got into a bit of heat distress on her walk.

Is there some reason why you have allowed her to remain intact? Breeding pugs can be tricky, many girls will need C sections to have the puppies because of the head size.

If you are not going to show her, she would be much better off altered.

If you are planning to show and breed her, you will get more used to things and have a pretty good routine after 2 or 3 seasons.

Remember that any dogs not used for breeding, and all those who are finished with their breeding careers, should be altered for their health.

Best of luck with her, and do remember to keep her away from other male dogs for 30 days from the start of her season.

Pugzilla
06-23-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks for your response! No, I have no intention of breeding her. I plan on getting her spayed as soon as possible. Not only do I believe in leaving breeding to professional breeders, I also don't want my little girl to have to go through the whole pregnancy process. I can't bear it when she gets overheated and is in distress, imagine my dismay with labor pain! :lol:

In order to try to prevent another incident like yesterday, she will not be going for walks again in the daytime until the weather cools (except for going out to take care of business, of course). I'll just start taking her out in the evening after the sun is down from now on.

Thanks again for your kind response.

RedyreRottweilers
06-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Good job you are getting her spayed.

I just love those little dogs, they are so cute, very good luck with her in the future.

pugsley
08-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Great name for a pug huh? I am new to the forum, and I see this is kind of a pug forum.
I have an 11 year old pug who is the love of my life, he has been hacking lately almost like he has some grass or something in his throat but I know he does not. I do not have a lot of money to have the vet run all kinds of tests, he is worth it but I can not afford it.
Does anyone know what this might be caused from? He is about 27 lbs which he was 36 lbs but for his size at 27 lbs he is a good weight since he is big boned and thick.
He looks at me strange all the time now, and my gut says it is coming soon which as you know this will be the worst day in my life. I never had animals growing up so when I get married I always wanted a pug.

I would appreciate maybe some kind of guidance on what this might be or am I just paranoid?
Scott

RedyreRottweilers
08-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Scott, a simple vet exam and a chest listen could help diagnose many things that might be causing your dog's cough.

I suspect he may have some cardiac issues, many of which can be controlled pretty well with drugs.

I strongly recommend a general checkup and discussion with your vet about what therapies may be right for the dog and within your budget.