PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Border Collie has sudden leg pain...

gabbi0408
06-19-2005, 04:43 AM
Hi

I will be taking my dog to the vet but it's Sunday 6:30 AM...so I've been looking on the Internet for some help. So far I've been unable to find anything about what my dog is experiencing.

Friday when I came home from work, I noticed he was limping and favoring his back right foot. I looked it over and noticed a small cut (not deep or bleeding) on the foot pad. Honestly it didn't look too bad, but I wrapped the foot. Over the day Saturday he seemed to be getting worse and somehow more unsteady. He seemed a little shaky.

This morning when I went to get him up to go outside he couldn't stand up, I had to help him. He cannot put weight on his front right leg now. So of course it's very difficult for him to walk or even stand. He keeps laying down. He can't go to the bathroom either.

His appetite seems okay. He finished his dinner last night and is still interested in treats.

My concern is that this has progressed and it's his entire right side. I worried about poison, but he's kept in our yard or the house. If he goes out someone is with him, or he's on a chain at his dog house. I don't think he could have gotten into anything.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Thanks for your help!

We have another dog, Chocolate Lab, who is fine.

Juanita-(Spirit-Rainbow)
06-20-2005, 11:02 AM
I have no idea what it might be. Since it's all on the right side, in a human I'd be wondering about a stroke. But I have no clue on dogs. I'm really glad you're taking him to the vet.

Keep us posted.

gabbi0408
06-20-2005, 12:15 PM
Hi,

Well...we thought stroke too...but it's lyme disease!! I would have never guessed!!!

The doctor gave hiim medicine he has to take 3 times a day for 30 days. He also has a fever of 103 and the doctor says this is not typical of lyme disease so he ordered futher tests to make sure nothing else is wrong.

But, at least we know what it is now.

Thanks

Juanita-(Spirit-Rainbow)
06-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Lyme Disease? I wouldn't have guessed either. As you say, at least now you know, and hopefully the other tests will all be okay/negative.

And hopefully, he'll take his meds good and easy for you. ;-)

kerryclair
06-22-2005, 06:40 PM
I have to wonder about this...
Three of my dogs and one horse has had lyme disease. A fever is not usual but neither are the symptoms you described. The dog may have lyme disease ALSO, but I think there is something else going on..please keep a close eye on this animal and consider a second opinion. With lyme disease you will have an on-again off-again limp that can't be explained. With lyme disease the symptoms go away and then reappear. Lethargy, lameness is common but not utter collapse and unable to get up, go to the bathroom or move. This is very strange and not at all ike any lyme disease I have encountered with any of my dogs. Please consider pressing your vet for more tests and watch your pet very carefully.