PDA

View Full Version : Convalenscence and rehab for canine hip dysplacia surgery?

art lindsay
08-08-2003, 03:39 PM
G'day All,

Our beloved dog will soon undergo Total Hip Replacement surgery for a bad case of degenerative hip disease (CHD). I've found a goodly amount of info on the net describing the condition and possible medical interventions but absolutely nothing about how to care for the extended convalescence. Our dog is a larger and more active breed and we have no idea how to care for, manage and rehabilitate him after the surgery. Does anybody have any suggestions? Or can anybody point me to a website, bulletin board or newsgroup which might be able to help us? Any help you can give is truly appreciated.

ht, art

newfiemom
05-23-2004, 09:20 AM
My newfie`s hips are bad, when I bathed her I could hear like gravel when I massaged her right hip, she walks with a wobble, so we take it easy. She is 7/1/2 years old. Right now, we have come to the decision of not putting her under the knife, for fear of other complications that can arise from this, and she seems to do alright as I give her 2 ounces of liquid Glucosin Chondroitin 2 times a day for joint pain.

kerryclair
05-27-2004, 12:32 AM
Your vet should give you a complete run down after surgery as to your dogs care - if he does not - ASK HIM/HER - they can give you the best advice, but one thing I would sugegst is that once your dog is recovered from surgery put him/her on Cosequin. Cosequin can help rebuild and lubricate joints and bones and can repair damage done, rather than alleviate pain like most drugs. It is an excellent product and will go a long way to helping your dog, especially if they have been on it for years before they get old.

newfiemom
05-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Emily has been on liquid canine chondroitin and glucosomin for 2 years now, and at least she has agility, but the cold weather is a real killer. I also have her on glycoflex, which also helps her.

kerryclair
05-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Sounds like you are doing all the right things then.
Don't shy away from working her though (once she is recovered).
Many people make the mistake of NOT exercising their dogs as much and letting them lay around. This is the worst thing you can do. Get them out, get them up, get them moving - this will keep them more agile and healthy!

newfiemom
05-28-2004, 09:14 PM
She never had surgury, I would not do that, not at this age. If Emily were younger, maybe.

kerryclair
06-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Ah yes! Sorry - I mixed you up with the first post. :)

newfiemom
06-04-2004, 09:48 PM
no problem. I appreciate your concern.

anne mosby
06-05-2004, 10:12 AM
My staffie goes to hydrotherapy twice a week after he had a knee operation, you wouldn't believe the improvment in just 4 weeks. The other week when we arrived early there was a dog using an underwater treadmill who had just had hip replacments the owner was amazed at the improvments their dog had made. Try looking up amberco I cann't thank them enough for what they have done for my dog and I would recomend hydrotherapy to anyone with a dog with any joint problems. Email me and I'll send you some photo's of my dog in action!
It might be worth investigating hydrotherapy centre's in your area.

kerryclair
06-08-2004, 12:47 AM
How interesting!!!
I had never really heard of this.
Is it prevalent in the U.S. as well?
What is the cost of such treatments?

anne mosby
06-08-2004, 10:07 AM
I real surprised that you havn't heard about hydrotherapy as a rehabilitation for our canine friends, it's becoming very popular over here in the UK. Its been used on horses for years, so why not dogs? Studies are going on right now into the beneficial effects in post surgical dogs recovering from cranial cruciate ligament disease, hip dysplasia and many more ailments.
After just 8 sessions my dog muscle bulk and tone has increased to provide stronger support in his bad leg. This now means I can now walk him further and I've even let him off his lead for the first time in a year with no sign of limping afterwards. He still has a long way to go but I never thought I'd see him running around with his mum and sister again so what a thrill when he did.
The cost of two sessions aweek is 40 but thats a small price to pay if he makes a full recovery and leads a long and happy life.

kerryclair
06-09-2004, 03:17 AM
That does not seem like a lot of money at all when you can see the results.
I researched a little here and there are very, very few places doing anything like it. In regards to animals, the US always seem to be light years behind many other countries. They are strill docking tails and ears here!

Kerry

newfiemom
06-10-2004, 10:14 PM
You are right. My friend`s newfie had his hips replaced when he was younger, but now he has to keep going back for the hydrotherpy just to keep him going, I think I will continue with the walking and glucosimine and chondroitin.