PDA

View Full Version : Pug Collapse

Paigeag
06-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Let me start off by saying that I will be taking my pug to the vet, but I was wondering if anyone had something simliar happen. The other day it was very hot outside, about 88 degrees, and I was outside with my pug. We were at a family barbecue. My husband decided to cool her off and ran some water from the hose. After getting wet, she began to run around and then stopped. That is when I noticed that she was foaming at the mouth. She then collapsed and appeared to be lifeless. My housband quickly grabbed her and ran inside the house. By the time I got in there she was back to normal, although a little shaken. Everyone assumed that it had to be from going from hot to cold, however, I believe it appeared to be more like a petit mall seizure. I know Pugs are known for having epilepsy, however, this is the first time this has ever happened. She is 3 years old. From now on I am not allowing her to be outside when it is over 80 degrees, unless it is to go to the bathroom.

kerryclair
06-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Sorry this reply is so late....so what did the vet have to say?

cindy731
06-26-2005, 08:51 AM
I had a similar occurrence yesterday with my 1 1/2 yr. old female pug, Olive. I was taking her for a walk, and the weather was very warm. We were not out for long when, as she was sniffing along the tall grass, she suddenly jumped and began running in the opposite direction, then zigzagging around as if she didn't know where to run. I suspected that maybe she was bitten by an insect, so I began walking back to my house. About 3 minutes later, she suddenly slowed, and stopped walking. As I leaned down to see what was wrong, she just sort of keeled over into my arms. I grabbed her and RAN into my house screaming for my husband. At this point, she was losing control of her bowels while I was holding her, and although she was conscious, she was not moving at all. She would not take water and just wanted to lie on the floor. I happened to have an antihistamine prescribed for her for an ear infection last winter, and suspecting an allergic reaction to a bite, I forced the pill into her mouth,and we rushed her to the vet. In the car she began foaming at the mouth, protruding her tongue through her closed mouth and breathing rapidly. By the time we arrived at the vet, she seemed to be at least slightly better, and during the course of the visit, seemed to return to almost normal. The vet said it was probably a reaction to a bug bite, and gave her a shot of prednisone. Today she seems okay but is still a little subdued, not her normal self. I am concerned for two reasons: one, if it was a bug bite, how come there was no swelling or obvious mark on her? What if she has another condition that was misdiagnosed? Second, if it truly was a serious reaction to an insect bite, how can I prevent it from happening again, what if the next time is more serious? The vet said there is no such thing as an EpiPen for dogs. I am scared to death to take her out, and she loves to walk in the woods and grasslands around my house.

kerryclair
06-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I am wondering...and this could be WAY off base...but am wondering about the fact that it was very hot and the dog would have been panting heavily. Pugs are very known to be a "human experiment". Their noses are way too short for their lungs and their legs can often be too short to accomodate a comfortable birth (their stomachs can hang on the floor, similar to bulldogs with a large birth and actually cause them to be unable to walk).

perhaps the fact that it was so hot, that the dog must have been panting very heavily that s/he could not get enough oxygen into their lungs and they had a seziure of sorts or passed out from not being able to breathe properly.

Any one else have any ieas here?
Did the vet have ANY other suggestions for you?

RedyreRottweilers
06-29-2005, 09:34 AM
pugs and the other short faced breeds are EXTREMELY heat sensitive.

You run the risk of severe heat distress or death with any of these dogs if the outside temp is above 80 degrees, and they are exercising.

I expect both of you almost witnessed your dog's dying from heat stroke.

Please keep your Pug dogs INSIDE the house when the weather is warmer. They simply can NOT deal with heat like other dogs can.

Keep in mind that most dogs who have had a heat distress incident become MORE sensitive to heat afterwards.

You have been warned.......