PDA

View Full Version : Greenies - causing problems



Bernerlover
06-02-2005, 06:51 PM
My healthy 3 yr old Bernese Mtn Dog just got out of emergency surgery to have a blockage removed from his intestine. It was a piece of a Greenie that was blocking his intestine, yes Greenie, the dog treat. The manufature claims that they are "the original smart-treat". Well.... apparently NOT!

It boggles my brain that the product that is made for dogs did not break down in the intestine.

Has anyone else heard of a problem with Greenies such as this?

Onyx
02-23-2006, 05:09 PM
My husky PUKES greenies, freaking dog treats. Every single time, and it's green everywhere.

I use the dentastix from now on.

petsalive
02-24-2006, 02:55 AM
Today the manuafacturer announcewd that they are changing their packaging after MANY reports of deaths in dogs with blocked intestines. The package will now state that Greenies are 85% digestible but that the other 15% can cause problems.

There is a lot of information on the Internet about the tragedies that have resulted from giving these to pets. Google it if you get a chance.

Best Bet - Do NOT give them to your dogs.

petsalive
02-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Found this on the web:

"Article synopsis by AnimalNet:


GREENIES TO CHANGE DOG TREAT PACKAGING
Associated Press, David Twiddy, February 22, 2006

Kansas City, Mo. -- The maker of Greenies, the country's best-selling dog treat, said Wednesday it plans to change its packaging in response to complaints from some pet owners and veterinarians that the treat may pose a health hazard to some dogs.
S&M NuTec, based in North Kansas City, also said it may remove a claim that Greenies are fully edible, saying its own study shows a dog can only digest up to 85 percent of the bone-shaped treat


A small reminder - Rawhide chews, pig ears and toys made with 'rope' are also dangerous to some dogs and unfortunately you never know until it is too late whether that dog will be yours. Here at our Sanctuary we avoid ALL of them - it is not worth the risk to have even ONE dog get such a dog lodged in their throat or blocking their intestines.

Also avoid any of the Hartz 'plastic' dental toys - it should be obvious that most dogs can break the plastic and die or need surgery as a result. Hartz Mountain is a 'marketing' company - they are not Animal Advocates - if they were they wouldn't still be selling flea products that can kill your cat.

tigger the turtle
02-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks for letting us know everybody!

sahd0w
03-15-2006, 09:36 AM
thanks for this information... a friend of mine's parents always feed their two poms greenies.. i should let them know about this =/

lovethatanimal
03-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Never heard of that Greenies...

Do you have their manufacturer web site? Just wanna check it out... :roll:

Timber Wolf
06-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Years ago my mom gave one to our German Shepherd. Shortly after eating one he became sick and threw up. She hasn't trusted Greenies since.

JustAnotherDogLover
06-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Not sure that I've ever heard of Greenie's either, but thanks for the info. I'll pass it along, I'm sure more people have heard of it.