PDA

View Full Version : Parrot Fish

Reno Unmistakeable
05-14-2005, 08:52 PM
I have a (fresh water) parrot fish, he's maybe 3-4 inches long, 3 years old & he kills everything I put in with him! I've had parrot's before, but never as aggressive as this one. He killed an oscar, a pleco, & a snakehead. Now I keep him in a small tank by himself. Anyone else here have parrot fish?

Tom

Cullen aquanaut
05-20-2005, 07:10 PM
I, myself, don't have a parrot fish personally, but i have heard of one's being overly aggresive.
Eventhough they can be pretty aggresive, i don't think they killed your oscar, pleco and snakehead.
Have you checked your waters parameters?
How large were your other fish?
Are there any other fish in the tank?
And how large is the tank?
The parrot fish might be an innocent bystandard.
:D :D :D

Reno Unmistakeable
05-21-2005, 08:41 AM
No, the parrot did it, I saw him. He would swim accross the tank, bite the other fish, then retreat to behind his rock. (Attack & retreat) The oscar was even a little bigger than the parrot.

Cullen aquanaut
05-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Have you checked your waters parameters?
How large were your other fish?
Are there any other fish in the tank?
And how large is the tank?

Timber Wolf
06-04-2006, 10:03 AM
I had one years ago. It is not uncommon for a smaller more aggressive fish to attack and kill less aggressive fish that are much larger than them; I've seen it many times. The attack and hide is classic, several of my smaller cichlids do that. The best you can do is just continue to keep it in a separate tank. That’s what I did with my parrotfish; it is safer for all the fish.

jennismortal
06-08-2009, 05:15 AM
It's hard to decide which of the colorful parrot fish's many unique characteristics is most remarkable.The coral is pulverized with grinding teeth in the fishes’ throats in order to get to the algae-filled polyps inside. Much of the sand in the parrot fish's range is actually the ground-up, undigested coral they excrete.There's its gender, which they can change repeatedly throughout their lives, and their coloration and patterns, which are a classification nightmare, varying greatly, even between the males, females, and juveniles of the same species.
Finally, there are the pajamas. Every night, certain species of parrot fish envelope themselves in a transparent cocoon made of mucous secreted from an organ on their head. Scientists think the cocoon masks their scent, making them harder for nocturnal predators.

bellabrownn
04-21-2011, 06:25 AM
The size of an adult parrot fish can be 10 inches, but on an average the size of male parrot fish is 8 inches, and females 6-7 inches. So you need to set up a tank with keeping in mind the size of the fish, and provide ample hiding space for these fishes like clay pots or caves. To complete the set up add rocks and driftwood, to provide more hiding spaces for these fishes.