PDA

View Full Version : I have had it with my cat!!!

catraged
05-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Ok here goes my story of woe:

About 1.5 years ago I moved into my new place, we noticed a stray cat that was interested in us and overall we took her in and made her at home. Almost since the beginning behavior problems have ensued, some physically related, some appear pure behavior.

Part of my rage against this cat has been the $3000 vet bills we've had to fix her stomach problem (she chronically vomited), while that problem is now fixed and I can't hold it against her really, the time and money spent against this adds up to my stressload and I think has made me resent the cat some.

The coup de grace is that she is ALWAYS developing a new dirty habit to replace a bad one. First it was scratching the couch, which was solved with a combo of No-Scratch Spray and sticky paws (and she does have her own scratching post). So instead of scratching the post, she moves to our rear window screen door (and this is damage I owe the landlord *groan*). This habit is not easily solved. Then she discovered the trash can and is beginning to raid it for scraps, couple this with a new meowing habit in the middle of the night and I'm just about ready to flip out.

I wish I could give the cat away, but my wife loves the cat and says she'll outgrow it, I've been patient for the last 1.5 years but now I feel ready to strangle this cat to death. HELP!!!!!

kerryclair
05-13-2005, 08:44 PM
How old is the cat and is she spayed?
Sounds a lot like general "young cat" behavior....

Jack_is_my_Baby
09-25-2005, 09:51 PM
That doesn't sound so bad to me. My cat used to drive me crazy during the first two years; he scratched, meowed, and stole food for no reason. It took a lot of patience, really. You can't really teach a cat anything, unlike you would with a dog; so all you do is just rationalize and think "oh well, he'll outgrow this eventually".

And they do. We were very loving and patient with our cat, and even though the first two years were not so easy, he turned out to be a great pet; and now we wouldn't trade him for anything in the world. I also think that getting him neutered made a HUUUGE difference in his behavior. So you might want to neuter/spay yours.

One last point; I have noticed my husband has no patience with cats either lol :lol: I guess that's just a guy thing. But please, don't strangle your cat :roll:

misstigress
10-12-2005, 03:51 AM
I have to agree its probably just young cat behaviour. My 7 month old kitten is psychotic. He will get into any bag, crevice, box, anything he can fit in and just scratch the surface. He opens cupboards and tears open cereal boxes and eats the cereal (I now have my home baby-proofed!) And as if he's not bad enough already, he can open doors too. Actual doorknobs, he jumps up, catches them and turns. My new pup is currently in the spare room until she is completely housetrained and my kitten lets her out throughout the night! I used to get soooo mad, but now I just laugh about it. It's his personality, he's mischievous(sp?) Give it some time, make sure the cat has lots and lots of toys. Toys that crinkle or ring or squeak.

Charcoal
11-29-2005, 07:38 PM
I would first make sure she is spayed. That really calms cats down and then give her some time to outgrow her outdoor behavior. Sounds like with living outside she had to go through the trash for scraps, so when she is hungry and your not around, she digs through the trash like before. The meowing thing sounds like she is lonely at night, which is when most cats are active.

Giddygirl900
12-02-2005, 09:21 AM
wow, that sucks. well, I'm 14 and have two cats. at night they come in my room, because every one else can't stand them, and they run around fighting, hissing spitting, and all those good cat noises. so, I got a squort battle, and everytime they come in and wake me up, I squort them. cats are smart animals and will learn,

hobbit
12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
mabey try those soft claws tips for your cat? so if it does scratch it doesnt do any damage.

cats are smart. it may just want your attention. one of mine always does bad stuff when he wants attention. i always tell him "just come sit by me dude, you dont have to eat bad stuff, pee on the bed, beat up your sister....."