PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Paws - Please Help

WaveJumper76
04-11-2005, 09:39 AM
My dog is a 3-1/2 yr old, 85lb German Shepard/Border Collie mix, and she loves to run around our pool but she doesn't know when to stop. She had ACL surgery in Feb 2004. Recovering well. She will run until she can't run any more. She usually gets tired and lays down. This time, she was not only tired, but 3 of her 4 paws were so raw, they were bleeding and sore. She cannot walk, she "army crawls" around, won't eat, I bring her water to her and she drinks, but she will not go outside because of the pain, nor will she allow me to carry her out. What can i do? Please help. Very worried. P.S. I cannot stay at home with her during the day. She has a dog door and fenced in yard. I am worried about her not going out to go to bathroom. I feel so bad for her, I don't know what I can do...I tried socks, lotion, powder, etc....nothing lasts. Any ideas? Home remedies? Any help is greatly appreciated. Cannot stand to see her like this.

petsalive
04-12-2005, 07:02 PM
Your dog must be seen by your veterinarian and perhaps between the two of you you can figure out a workable solution.

This is a potentially deadly situation as any time there is a 'break' in the skin infection can enter - especially through the paws which touch the dirt. Some of the possible 'contaminants' of her wounds are tetanus, bacteria and parasites (whipworms, coccidia and even salmonella from overflying birds). This situation MUST be managed propertly and I am sure she needs to be on an antibiotic and clean 'flooring'. Perhaps the vet may even need to bandage her feet and keep her in his sterile environment until her pads have a chance to heal.

Good Luck and please let us know how you manage the situation (one thing I can recommend is that when she gets better you don't allow her to run as much as she wants - especially on concrete. I think for a long time you are going to have to walk her on a leash.)

WaveJumper76
04-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I have her on some antibiotics and benedryl (for previous allergies).

She is walking again, though limping. I used vet recommended newskin and triple antibiotic ointment with bandages. She kept them on most of the night. I don't let her run...she was being watched by a family member...and there were 2 other dogs there. Trust me she got an earful from me.

Thanks again.

kerryclair
04-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Can you fence an area for her that is not around the pool? maybe even with an outlet / dog door to the house?

This is very obsessive/compulsive behavior. You might wish to also consult a reputable behaviorist.

What suggestions did your vet give you?
What did he/she do for your dogs paws?