PDA

View Full Version : My cat's acting strange? Is he sick?? Please Help!

Merlin_0525
04-04-2005, 09:42 PM
For some reason, my cat has been acting strange lately. He is about 3 years old, maybe four, and is usually very energetic and playful. However, now all he does is sleep alot. It at times seems like he doesn't have the energy to move. He does eat and use the bathroom, but he usually only licks up the sauce of the canned foods we give him. He's been drinking the milk we give him (special cat milk with lactose-breaking enzymes). Whenever he does anything that takes up energy, he collapses and begins to heavily pant, usually ignoring everything around him during this time. He seems to spend alot of his time recovering his energy, but doesn't ever seem to sleep: Instead, he stays awake with his eyes wide open. What's going on? Is it something serious? Thanks.

petsalive
04-05-2005, 08:40 AM
It sounds very serious and he should go to a vet ASAP. Some of the things that can cause this are cardiomyopathy ( a heart problem), infected teeth (which must be treated so that the bacteria don't damage the heart and liver), diabetes, and parasites.

Whenever an animal (especially a cat) acts in an unusual manner it is letting you know that something is wrong and it should not be overlooked for more than 24-36 hours or it will get significantly worse.

I'm glad you asked the question but we are not veterinarians and cannot diagnose him on this board but I CAN tell you that you should take him to a veterinarian - not eating is a sure sign that he is not feeling well.

Please let us know how he is doing and what the veterinarian finds out.

Sara Whalen
Executive Director
Pets Alive Inc.

Merlin_0525
04-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Well, apparantly, our cat has Fatty Liver Disease (http://http://cats.about.com/cs/healthissues/a/fatty_liver.htm), which is caused by stress. I guess our recent bout of moving was probably the cause of this...We're doing what the doctor suggested, feeding him vitamins and stuff like that. Guess we'll just wait and see what happens.