PDA

View Full Version : saddles

horse_rider
03-06-2005, 11:40 AM
In July my family and I will be buying a horse. I have been told in the past to get the horse first and then get the saddle. But when you do get a horse how do you know what size of saddle to get? :?

kerryclair
03-06-2005, 07:14 PM
Meg,
If you do not know how to fit a saddle, I would really strongly recommend that you contact a professional saddle fitter. Yes - ther are people that will come out and meaure your horse and then tell you what you need to buy. This is WELL worth it! I rode for a year on a horse that had the wrong saddle. In fact I had two horses, and three saddles. I bought all the saddles because of how they felt for me to sit in...I didn't know they had all sorts of specs for the horses needs!! ALL MY SADDLES WERE WAY TOO small and it was why all that year they slipped, and slided and never stayed on properly. i wound up having to sell all three and then I bought two that fit. I LOVED those saddles, but the saddle fitter showed me all teh problems, and all the problems it was causing for my horse.

I'd really suggest investing in this service. It is about $75-150 to get it done...depending on how much they do and where you live. I think you'd be better off getting a GREAT start for you and your new horse!

horse_rider
03-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Thank- you very much and I will deffinatly tell my dad about this