PDA

View Full Version : My dog has the WORST smelling gas..

njsf25g
02-28-2005, 03:46 PM
could it be a problem?
black lab
had him for 4 months
every night in family room...he clears the room...smells like a skunk!! if not worse!

anything I can do?
he had worms 2 months ago...I thought that had somethign to do with it....but he was of course treated

kerryclair
02-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Gas is often from the food you feed.
What food are you feeding?
Something hi in sugar like alpo or meaty bites or something like that?

njsf25g
02-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Gravy Train

if no good...what recommendations do you have?

I have a 5 yr old lab that has done fine on it

kerryclair
03-03-2005, 12:40 AM
I would say that was probably your problem. Some dogs might do ok on it, but the overall quality of foods like 'gravy train' and 'kibbles and bits' and stuff like that is that it is low grade quality proteins and high in sugar. If you have to buy something that you can get at a supermarket then the pickings are slim. I guess if I had to I would go with PurinaOne although by and large I am not a huge fan of Purina. If you are not forced to buy from a supermarket and have a good feed store near you then Blue Seal is good, Canidae is good, Eukanuba and Nature's Recipe - those sorts of foods would be better than the Gravy Train class and without all the sugary content he'd probably have a lot less gas (will take a few weeks for the change over to happen though).

Let us know how you do!

Sheka
03-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Well i know how you feel my dog Charlie doesnt fart all the time but when he does YUUUKK!! he can clear a room! Prob. cuz he likes peanut butter or seomthing, well i started feeding a good food and hes doing better but once in a while Ew! Lol well i feel your pain
from,
Sheka

MH
03-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Kerryclair, that is good advice. I know someone who will benefit from that - thank you for sharing.

jennylynn
03-08-2005, 01:59 PM
I've heard great things about Blue Seal and Nature's Recipe.
I've also heard good things about Nutro.

I feed my dog Natual Balance (http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/) (both the dry food and the dog food rolls), and he does really well on it.

petsalive
03-17-2005, 02:32 AM
Just one other suggestion - it is usually necessary to treat a dog for worms more than once and once treated they can reinfect themselves (which is why it is important to 'scoop the poop' in the area he eliminates in. Perhaps you should bring in another stool sample and have it tested.

Gravy Train is FAMOUS for creating these problems as are most of the store brands and less expensive foods - the ingredients are poor quality and if you ate them you would have the same (or worse) problem. Definitely switch brands and if cost is a factor the Blue Seal Natural 26 is a great choice (don't buy the Krunchies - the result is similar to the 'results' produced by Gravy Train)