PDA

View Full Version : We said goodbye to Leah - thank you for your support

rikidage
02-20-2005, 09:02 AM
Yesterday took me by surprise. I never thought that saying goodbye to Leah would have been so difficult. However, I am very glad I was there for her. Our appointement at the vet was at 15:00hr and as soon as we arrived at her office, she brought us to the room. I am glad she did not make us wait in the lobby with everybody else.

Right away I could feel that Leah was nervous. She started shaking and she just wanted to be close to us or try to get out of the room. At that point, she was so sick that she had a hard time to walk. I had to carry her inside. We stayed in the room for about 15 minutes just her, my wife and I, petting her and trying to reassure her as best as we could. We brought with us her blanket and she finally layed down on it. She was so tired.

The vet came in and explained to us what would happen next. She would inject Leah with this potent barbituric that would first make her sleep. Then she would stop breathing and finally her heart would stop.

She proceeded to shave a bit of fur from her paw and inserted the needle. She was laying on the floor her head in my hands. I was talking to her the whole time, trying to hold back the tears. Within 5 seconds, she fell asleep. She looked so peacefull. The vet then monitored her heart and it took about 30 second for her to tell us that it was all over. There was no twitch, no cry, no suffering except from me.

I know we did the right thing and that Leah is better off now than when she was with us at home not able to eat, drink or even walk.

When we got home, we could really feel her absence. The house seems so empty now. Her energy and her presence was so strong that it will take a few weeks to get use to this new life without her. What I always knew and got confirmed yesterday, was that Leah, in her own way, gave purpose to our life. I am not saying that she was the only purpose but she made us think and care about something else than us. We don't have kids and she filled that need that we have to give love and forget ourselves in favor of a being that returns your love unconditionnally.

I miss her already and she will always be missed. But mostly, I will always be gratefull for the lessons she thought us. In time, I will get use to not having her greet me at the door when I come back from work, or have her wake me up in the morning with a big kiss, letting me know I need to go for a walk and that she will gracefully keep me company. In time, I will no longer miss feeling her presence when I was just home relaxing. The comfort she gave me was a gift. I just hope that she felt as loved during her stay with us as she loved us.

I hope that one day I will be able to cross that Rainbow bridge and be reunited with her. That would be heaven for me.

Richard

kerryclair
02-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Richard,

DO consider getting another dog. You obviously have so much love to give, that another dog would be so lucky to find you. Some dog perhaps sitting in a shelter right now, wishing it had a home and someone to love. I know that right now it is difficult to even think of...but you would not be REPLACING Leah...NOTHING IN THE WORLD can do that...but perhaps you would be spreading that love with an animal that right now has only coldness and lonlieness in it's life.

Please consider it.
No one like you should be without a dog in their life.
It is obviously a gift you treasured. Please share yourself with another dog one day.

All my affection...
K.

JeniW
03-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss. I just had to put down my cat, Bones....March 13th. He was 16 years old and was very ill. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes. :( May your sweet pup forever rest in peace.

jolie07
11-13-2009, 01:28 AM
I feel so soorry for loss of your pet Leah. At this time we usually recalls the moments, events as well as the periods of time we spent with her. God bless her soul and your family too.

lizzy25
11-12-2010, 02:53 AM
I feel sad to hear this..You know what Richard, you have to move on and keep the memories you had with your dog Leah. She seems to be the sweetest just like our dogs at home. They may not be human but their love and presence is sometimes overpower human being.