PDA

View Full Version : What colour is my filly

AngelsMom
02-14-2005, 06:58 PM
In August I bought a 16 month old Quarterhorse filly. Her mother is a champagne chestnut and her daddy is a beautiful blue roan. She's a bit of both I guess. My vet said that he'd call her "a roan... sort of" ... whatever thats supposed to mean. Over most of her body, she has equal amounts of chestnut, black and white hairs, her legs are a bit darker, with light dappling, her mane is almost flaxen, and her tail is all three colors. She actually looks purple in the sun. She's darkened a little over the winter... by spring... who knows. Such is the nature of the roan, I guess :) Anyway... would she be considered a roan? A blue or a red? When people ask what color she is, I just smile and say purple!!
This is not a great picture of her... a few days after we bought her. She looks much nicer now... not as "bristly broomy" and muscled up a bit. We are having some trouble with her... she has just been diagnosed with sacroliac subluxation... but thats another topic. Anywhooo.... what color is my horse!!?? :) Her name is "Dust In The Wind"... Angel!
Thanks,

kerryclair
02-17-2005, 03:47 AM
I think Roan is correct...maybe Dun...but it is hard to tell from the picture....
Beautiful animal though!!

AngelsMom
02-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Why thank you :) I'm madly in love with her. She's turning out to be such a great girl. Eager to please and catches on extreamly quickly! She's a smart girl, which means she's trying to poke her nose into EVERYTHING, though. But hey, thats what makes it SO much fun :) I'm using alot of John Lyon's training methods on her. It's the first time I've had a horse that wasn't already trained, or that I didnt have someone knowledgable to train it for me. It's been a experience so far! :) Her grandmother was an app. Which could account for some of the strange coloring as well.
~Vicki~

jennylynn
02-18-2005, 09:49 AM
I'd say roan too.
She's really cute! :)

AngelsMom
02-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Well, thanks :)
She's such a good girl too. Her brother, who is exacty a month older then her, is at the barn as well. He's a blanket app. Both of them hang out with my sister's 30 year old Newfoundland pony. Guess who the boss is! ;)
Yep... old Charlie!
Ta for now,
~Vicki~