PDA

View Full Version : HELP! TOO MANY FERRET QUESTIONS

Sheka
02-08-2005, 02:34 PM
Well I really want a ferret, i know alot about them but one thing isnt clear. The cages. I know a HUGE 4 story mansion would be best, but would a 2 story due? and i see alot of cages that a really Tiny, (aka- the size of hamster cages) Like 1 story and very small..Y so they sell those they dont seem Ok for a ferret to have? and thirdly I hear about Ferrets and deseases(or however u spell it) Do all ferrets get alot of sicknesses at a certain age, or will a healthy ferret stay healthy? and what cat food do u recomend or ferret food? and also how often do ferrets Go to the bathroom..i had a hamster..and that thing pooped them out evrey few mliseconds. and Could i take a ferret out with me for a short time without bringing a litter box along? and Could i keep the cage in my room? and Finnaly are ferets like hamsters or do they WANT to have u around?

THanks ,
SHEKa, Charlie, thomas, greemel , zoey , chico, rico , nico, and Herbert

kerryclair
02-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Sheka, You should really buy a book and read all about it. Really find out a lot for yourself....

Did you read the articles on ferrets from our website? You can also do some deeper research from ferret sites on the web. Here is one with a lot of information:
http://www.ferretcentral.org/

I will attempt to answer some of your questions...

>> The cages. I know a HUGE 4 story mansion would be best, but would a 2 story due?<<

Yes, that is fine for 1-2 ferrets. A ferret hould not be caged 24x7 though. They should be let out to roam under supervision. They are not an animal that should spend their life in a cage. You can also buy a ferret harness and let them outside for a small time.

>> Do all ferrets get alot of sicknesses at a certain age, or will a healthy ferret stay healthy? <<

They are usually healthy but very prone to cancer. A female ferret MUST be fixed or when she goes into heat and is not mated, she can die. So be sure to fix your ferret. They are also prone to various skin conditions but provide a healthy diet, sunlight and quality living conditions and you should not have that problem.

>>and what cat food do u recomend or ferret food?

NO CAT FOOD. You must buy a qaulity ferret chow. Any pet store will carry it. Cat food is NOT a proper diet for a ferret.

>>and also how often do ferrets Go to the bathroom..i had a hamster..and that thing pooped them out evrey few mliseconds. and <<

Not as much as a hamster but they do go quite a few times a day. They can be litter trained by placing a litter pan where they go. They will always back into a corner to go to the bathroom and placing a litter pan there will help...but you can not place a litter pan where YOU want and expect them to go there.

>>Could i take a ferret out with me for a short time without bringing a litter box along?

Yes. Especially if you just saw them go, you should be safe to leave them out with you for a few hours after that.

>> and Could i keep the cage in my room?

Yes. i do not see why not, as long as it is well lit. They do need some sunlight but not IN the direct sun.

>>and Finnaly are ferets like hamsters or do they WANT to have u around?

Ferrets can be VERY VERY friendly and sweet. they will beg for food like cake and ice cream if you have it. They are more like dogs than like hamsters....but more independent than dogs.

Kerry

Sheka
02-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks, i took your advice and i bought some books, the best one was Ferrets For Dummies! I read the page and it really helped.
THanks so much,
Sheka :D

paulandashia
07-21-2005, 12:30 PM
The BEST forum to go for for Ferret Questions is:

http://www.petshub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

They can answer any question you have about ferrets...
VERY knowledgable people... :)
And VERY VERY dedicated to their Ferrety-Children....

PS. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not give you ferrets Sweets such as Cake and Ice-Cream.... You can make them VERY VERY sick.... And potentially kill them....
Also, I have 5 Ferrets, and I can tell you that Cat-Food is PERFECTLY OK as long as it is the RIGHT KIND... (Go to the forum and ask, they will give you a link to a VERY awesome Food Chart..!)
Eukanuba and Natural Balance are just 2 examples of acceptable food... HIGH in Protein and Meat Content which is the stuff your baby will need, and LOW in everything your little one doesn't need... (Corn and vegetable additives, etc)... Ferrets are Carnivores, and they do not digest anything BUT meat... :)

Please also remember that nearly 99% of all Kits (Young ferrets) WILL BITE and NIP..!!! They HAVE TO BE NIP TRAINED..!!! As a starter ferret, you should go with an older ferret, possibly a Shelter rescue... THEN move on to a Kit... (For advice on EFFECTIVE and SAFE nip-training, go to the other Forum...)
Ferrets are also social animals that live in family groups in the wild, so having multiples (2,3+) is VERY beneficial for their wellbeing... :)

Sheka
07-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks so much! the forum is great for ferrets since there not many ferret people here! but dont worry Kerry, This'll always be my main forum :)

Sheka