PDA

View Full Version : siblings/ both genders HELP

bonnie&clyde
02-05-2005, 10:43 PM
We have brother and sister, and only 6 mo old, just discoverd girl is in heat, how do we know if brother was "inappropriate", when can she become pregnant, first time? HELP we had no idea they could "menstruate" so young... :oops: :oops:

petsalive
02-06-2005, 05:05 AM
I must say it blows my mind that you were unaware that dogs can come into 'heat' so young (most do by 5 months old). I am also shocked that your veterinarian didn't educate you - you should speak to him and ask him to remember to discuss this with his other clients.

The solution (and answer) is very simple - get her SPAYED immediately - the puppies, if they were conceived, will no doubt have many health and temperment problems if allowed to be born.

Also, if you just noticed that she came into heat then chances are they did not yet 'mate'. Female dogs are not 'fertile' usually until AFTER the bleeding stops.

What you MUST do now is seperate them until she is spayed - no IFS, ANDS or BUTS. She can normally be spayed while she is in heat but some vets prefer to wait until it is finished (usually 4 weeks after the bleeding starts).

Please do the right and humane thing and call your vet immediately to get her a spay appointment.

bonnie&clyde
02-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Well, certainly since these are our first dogs, I am not an expert, that's why I asked this question, but thanks again for your response.