PDA

View Full Version : labor and delivery???

tlginer
12-26-2004, 12:02 PM
ok my chihuahua is exspecting in 1 1/2 to 2 weeks,after lots of research i decited to "help" with the delivery by cutting the cords and disposing of the afterbirth myself," my vet said it's not nessasary for her to eat it" but now a friend of my father-in-law said that if i cut the cords i may cut a vain and the pups will bleed to death...is this true?? my vet said when the mom chews the cord this is many times the cause of hiatal hernias.. any advice on this dilivery would be very helpful....please...thank you very much trish.....oh,HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!

SalemWitchChild
12-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Trish,

I would not suggest helping unless the mother is in trouble. Most of the time they do just fine on their own. Sometimes even if you are the most trusted member in the household a mother will not let you get near her while birthing. It is best that she has the least amount of stress possible during that time. I would suggest that you watched but not interact unless a problem arises. Sometimes a hernia can be caused. Howerver, most of the time its nothing to worry about.

RedyreRottweilers
12-28-2004, 08:46 AM
cords should NOT be cut, even if you do have to help.

Cutting can allow excessive bleeding.

If you have to sever a cord, use your 2 thumbnails and crush and tear the cord. This simulates the bitch crushing and chewing the cord off. This closes the vessels and discourages bleeding. Be careful not to pull on the tummy with the cord, as you can cause an umbilical hernia.

Tiny bitches have many issues with whelping and rearing puppies. Talk to your vet about what is a whelping emergency, when to think about a C section, and what the symptoms of ECLAMPSIA are.

Good luck.

petsalive
12-29-2004, 11:38 PM
It seems to me that although you have 'researched' this you know little about the process.

For the sake of your bitch and her puppies PLEASE take her to a veterinarian so that if an emergency occurs there will be someone skilled and competent there to help her.

BTW NOONE should consider breeding animals, especially toy breeds, unless they have hands on experience doing so. There are so many things that can happen to your dog (to say nothing of the fact that what the world needs now is NOT more chihuahuas - we have three here at our shelter under a year old looking for homes and we are just ONE shelter in NY) from massive internal bleeding to retaining a puppy or placenta to calcium deficiency to infection that you really shouldn't try to do this alone.

tlginer
12-30-2004, 03:51 PM
to start with i didn't breed her the neighbors poodle dug under my fence.i had her x-rayed monday and all looks great,there are two pups and they look plenty small enough for her to pass..i will keep one and a good friend will take the other and thay will have happy healthy spoild homes.. thak for your help....

RedyreRottweilers
12-30-2004, 05:13 PM
I wish you very good luck.

As I said, the tinies can have MANY life threatening complications from whelping.

I sincerely hope the male dog does not carry dogs in his pedigree that are significantly larger than your girl. This could be a real issue.

Please spay your girl after the puppies.

You SHOULD have spayed her after the breeding. This world does not need more mixed breed puppies.

Please make sure the puppies you are producing are also neutered.

It is the only responsible thing to do, and of course you ARE a responsible breeder......

Aren't you?

tlginer
12-31-2004, 10:46 AM
thank you,yes mom and pups will be fixed as soon as ready,already in the works..as i said this wasn't planed.. your singnature shows rott's,do you know of any good home or rescue for a 2 yr. old rott/shep mix? she's a great dog spyed,utd shots? i saved her for now but can not keep her