PDA

View Full Version : my dog may blind!!!!

andriarox
12-11-2004, 09:37 PM
I am wondering if there is a way to tell if my dog is going blind or if its a cataract (sp?) I'm going to take her to the vet Monday but I just noticed this today. I have a female cocker spaniel (not sure of her age because we got her from a couple who didn't know her age when they got her) but she has a son who is four years old and we have targeted her age to be between 7yrs-9yrs old. I noticed today that her right eye looks really cloudy and gray. Just the pupil. It looks like she has a light gray marble over her pupil. How can I tell if she is losing her vision? I'm taking her to the vet but todays Saturday and the vets not in til Monday and theres no 24 hr vet hospital where I live. So does anyone know what signs to look for or what a blind dogs eye looks like? Thank you!

SalemWitchChild
12-12-2004, 08:12 AM
If you put your hand by that eye does she react in any way? What you described is a sign that she is going blind, or may already be in that eye. Try coming up on her on that side, does she shy away, turn her head the other way to see you? (I assume the other eye does not look cloudy)

If both eyes are cloudy take her to an area she has not been too before, Does she run into things? Is she more cautious when walking in an unknown area? Many blind dogs get to know there surroundings by heart. If you move something or they are in a new area they will start to run into things. Good luck

Ursa Major
12-14-2004, 10:22 PM
A dog's eyes should be shiny inside and out. Being very careful, use a small flashlight and sweep the light near your dog's eyes. Do the pupils (the black center) change size? Note: Don't shine the light directly in the eyes and don't use a laser pen (can cause serious damage or could frighten your dog).

Look in your dog's eyes under normal light...they should be nice and clear. If the middles are milky or appear to have things floating in them, the dog could have cataracts.

Basically, the best bet is see your vet :) Let us know how things turn out.

Sassyred
12-20-2004, 10:12 PM
I have a half cocker/half maltese are we are afraid she too is having cataract issues! She is walking into everything. Our vet is on vacation until next week. I know that Cockers are known to have this issue! I feel for you! and btw, ours is 8 yrs old.