PDA

View Full Version : Dog Choking

divinem
11-28-2004, 09:28 AM
Hi. I'm new here and need some advice. I have a 13 year old Beagle and she's been having some problems with choking on her food. She's always "hoovered" her meals however the food is lodging in her throat and we're literally having to clear the obstruction away. It's very scary! I am calling the Vet tomorrow but seeing it's the weekend I thought I'd try to see if anyone could give me advice. Thanks!

SalemWitchChild
11-28-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi DivineM,

First of all you do need to take her to the vet and have her checked out. Second, what type of food are you giving her? If its dry can she get down canned food easily? Or you could try putting some water on the dry food to make it soft. Try those today and tomarrow get her into the vet. There could be some underlying problems going on.

Welcome to the forum :D

divinem
11-28-2004, 12:54 PM
I'm feeding Lacey canned food this weekend and she seems to be doing pretty well with it. She's been on dry food all her life. I'm just worried because we can't keep sticking our hands in her throat to remove food. That's not good for her or us. I'm certainly glad tomorrow is Monday so I can call the Vet.

kerryclair
12-02-2004, 12:49 AM
Can she open her mouth all the way?
Could she have something lodged in her throat that is obstructing additional food from going down? Try wetting her dry food...but definitely get her looked at by the vet....
Tell us what happens!