PDA

View Full Version : New puppies

david7775
10-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and grateful to find a great place like this. I had
two puppies show up on my property the other day. I'm sure they were put out. That is a big problem in our area. They weren't starving yet, but they were awfully hungry. I have fed them heartily and they seem to love me for it! They are the sweetest puppies with lots of love to give.
My question is how best do I feed them. I have been feeding them once a day in the evening and they have had dry food left over to last into the following morning. Is it better to feed them twice a day? Is there a preferable time of day to feed? They seem very hungry by 3-4:00pm.

Thanks for any help,

David

kerryclair
11-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Yes, twice a day - at least is preferrable. You do not say how old they are - are they VERY young puppies - like 8 weeks old, or are you talking 4-5 months? A young dog would need to be fed a few times a day and if a person can do so, it is always better to feed (most) dogs twice a day and split their portions. A young pup needs a lot of food too, so the best thing to do would be to take them to the vet, get them wormed and ask his advice as to theri age and feeding requirements.

Keep us posted!
What kind of pups are they?

Onyx
02-23-2006, 05:59 PM
I think 3 times a day for puppies is way better!!! Because they are growing so rapidly, and they can't actually eat 2 cups in 1 sitting.

elliepellie
02-25-2006, 05:57 AM
I think 3 times a day for puppies is way better!!! Because they are growing so rapidly, and they can't actually eat 2 cups in 1 sitting.
when you say 2 cups... do you mean tea mugg or coffie mug/cup?

tea cup is larger then coffie cups right... just wondering in dl, oz

smiffy
02-25-2006, 07:21 AM
ellie.
some ppl use a mug for serving the meals, mine is a metel cup but about the size of a mug.

to start i weighed out the food according to the weights on the packet but now i can pretty much guess it with the mug. so i didnt use it until i had a good idea of the right amount.
so one dalmatian has two heaped cups in a day (one per meal) the other dal (in the pic) has just under the rim twice a day and the shih tzu has half a cup twice a day.
as you have a pup i would say stick to the pack instructions and then use a mug for measuring when your dog reaches adulthood.