PDA

View Full Version : None of my business really but my neighbors have

beaulanger
10-23-2004, 07:36 AM
2 small dogs that are kept in a small cage all day long. The owners are often gone long periods of time leaving those poor things alone in a dark house confined like that. I feel so sorry for them. One doesn't seem to mind being caged, the other hates it. We occasionally are asked to take care of these dogs when the owners are away. When I asked the owners why they just don't fence off the kitchen and give them some room instead of confining them to the cage they say that their dog groomer said it was good for them. The poor things also have poop problems. When we let them play in our yard when the owners are gone they spend the whole time squatting and pooping. I've never seen dogs poop so frequently. Also the owners say their groomer told them to buy Old Roy dog food which is a cheap brand. I was wondering if that has a bearing on their digestive system? They are also constantly bathed at the groomers and have allergy (fur) problems for which they get shots.

Our mixed breed seems (?) to poop just once in the morning when I walk her and it is a quick and not long ordeal. I feed her a high quality lamb dog food. She doesn't have any allergies. I have heard that cheap dog food contains fillers that some dogs may be allergic to. Is that correct? We never bath our dog as she cleans herself like a cat and is always very clean. We do tkae her for hikes where she likes to splash in the streams. I ve heard that bathing a dog frequently takes out the natural protection of the fur. Is this correct?

I don't wnat to stick my nose in other people's business but I am just curious of these questions I have.

LoveNewfies
10-23-2004, 08:10 AM
You are certainly correct. Ol Roy could definitely be a problem for them with their poop issues. It is one of the worst foods out there. If we ate like that all the time I'm sure we'd have more than just poop problems. It could also be contributing to their poor coat condition.

As for baths, dogs do not need to be bathed often unless there is a medical reason to do so with a medicated shampoo. It surely will strip the natural oils from the skin and coat causing problems for the poor pups.

I know you don't want to start trouble with your neighbor, but perhaps you can prompt a conversation or too leading to better options for the dogs.

As for crating, many people do leave their dogs in crates all day for various reasons - a lot of times it is for the benefit of the dog. Myself, I have no need to crate as my dog is house broken, doesn't have seperation anxiety and never gets into anything. She won't even eat when we're not home.

SalemWitchChild
10-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Ol Roy dogfood WILL cause your dog to have diarrea. I used it breafly until i realized that it was causing my dog to do this..Its definatly NOT good for the dog. I would try to politely talk with your neighbor and explain that their current dog food is not good.

As for bathing your dog you can get an "all natural" dog shampoo. Make sure it does not contain soaps or detergents and you will be able to bath them as often as you like w/o stripping the coat. Talk to your local pet store to find one.

horse_rider
02-27-2005, 10:28 PM
call animal control so they can have a warning but ask them to keep your name confidentional and then if that doesn't work i don't know what to do

RedyreRottweilers
07-01-2005, 07:16 AM
There is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong about keeping dogs crated for several hours at a time during the day.

Crates are a very good tool, and can keep dogs safe in the home while you are away. They are marvelous for house training, and my dogs travel in crates for their own safety at all times.

Dogs are DEN ANIMALS, they learn to love their own spaces. As long as there is plenty of room to stand up, lie down, and turn around, and as long as a dog gets adequate time for exercise and potty periods, crates are in NO way inhumane.

Every dog I ever get is crate trained for their safety, and for the safety and well being of my household items. Puppies are weaned off the crate between 1 and 2 years of age, usually. I begin by letting them sleep outside the crate.

Prevention is key in housetraining puppies, and I give them very little chances to make the wrong choices. Judicious use of crates can help a dog to learn how to behave in the house, along, of course, with supervision, and the rewarding of desired behaviors, and the interruption of those behaviors that may not be desired.

To assume that someone is abusing their dogs simply by crating them for periods during the day is ridiculous.

Now the Ol' Roy? That MIGHT be abuse.

;)

SalemWitchChild
07-01-2005, 06:01 PM
I realize this topic is old but I have to agree with the above post. With proper use crating the dogs can be good for them and your home. Recently I moved and was instructed by my land lord that I must crate Kota at night. She had not been crate trained before however seeing the results of doing so I should have started it as a puppy! Thankfully she does not bark much and seems to like her new "bed". Before we had a problem with her sneaking off in the middle of the night and chewing or pottying in the house. Now we have none of that problem and she has learned to hold it till morning. SHe knew she should have before but she kept going anyway. :x

sassifrass7
09-29-2005, 09:38 AM
Crate time is fine if it's only a normal amount of time. No dog should be in a crate for more than 6-8 hours, like when you are working and can't be home for them. It sounded like WitchChild was infering that it was much more time that that. That's inhumane. Their pooping problems may simply come from the lack of activity and lack of time to poop! In order to digest food and poop you have to move around and exercise.

About Old Roy, I too have heard that it's terrrible food, but some dogs have lived their whole lives on it just fine. So, it's hard to know.

Mandy
Blessed Be!

SalemWitchChild
10-01-2005, 07:31 AM
Crate time is fine if it's only a normal amount of time. No dog should be in a crate for more than 6-8 hours, like when you are working and can't be home for them. It sounded like WitchChild was infering that it was much more time that that. That's inhumane. Their pooping problems may simply come from the lack of activity and lack of time to poop! In order to digest food and poop you have to move around and exercise.

About Old Roy, I too have heard that it's terrrible food, but some dogs have lived their whole lives on it just fine. So, it's hard to know.

Mandy
Blessed Be!

I was infering NO time in my post. I did not give that information. I will now though. Kota is never in her crate for more than 5 hours and she is almost 2 yrs old. I would never put them in for more than 6!

sassifrass7
10-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Hi,
I believe that the person posting the comment about "two small dogs in crates a lot of the time" was the first one on this string, "beaulanger". I guess I wasn't specific enough, I just assumed that everyone reading would start at the top.

Certainly I've always crate trained my shelties. And it has always worked well. I'm a stay at home Mom, so I don't crate much during the day. My shelties all sleep in their crates with the doors off. They love their beddies.

I start my Sheltie Puppies getting them used to crates in their puppy pen with crates for sleeping in, with doors off of course. Then when they sleep in them comfortably, eventually I take away the puppy pen and just use the crates with the doors back on. I always raise my litters like that, And the puppy pen is in the family room so they aren't alone or isolated. But by the time my puppies go to their new homes, they are already comfortable sleeping in their crates and mostly house broken. I don't let them go to new homes until about 10-12 weeks.

I don't crate train my Chihauhaus though, they all sleep together at night in our half bath, with a heater to keep them toasty if it gets cold. They also are all paper trained and I want them to stay that way so they don't have to go out in the cold weather. Two are very tiny and short coated, they get cold very easily.

Anyway, just wanted to straighten out where the "too much crate time" idea started. Some neighbor of beaulanger I guess.

Thanks,
Mandy

ritabooker
08-11-2006, 07:48 PM
I am convinced that crate training is the reason Abby was able to become a civilized member of our household so quickly. She slept in a crate in the house until she was house-broken and stopped destroying stuff around the house. She would whine at night when she had to go, and I would get up in the middle of the night and take her out...then bring her back to bed in her crate. She was staying in her crate all night by the time she was 5 months old.
So, soon after that we moved her to a bed, to sleep in, and she wakes us up if she has to go out during the night, which is very rarely. When she would misbehave and act like a monster, we would calmly place her in her crate for a time-out. If we had to be gone for a few hours, we would leave her in her crate in the house. It seemed to make her feel more secure while we were gone. Now she is older, and she has a nice secure kennel outside where she stays while we are gone, but I am not so sure sometimes, she wouldn't rather be inside, in her crate.