PDA

View Full Version : how to build horse jumps

Gillsa
10-07-2004, 12:03 PM
Hello.

I'm looking for instructions on how to build jumps. Jumps that would be not too horribly heavy to move and easy to adjust to different skill levels.

I had the Practical Horseman's article, but I riped it out and lent it to someone and they lost it. If anyone has that article I'd love to get a new copy of it!

I tried doing some googling but I had trouble sorting thru the results. If anyone has any website suggestions or personal experiences that would be super handy.

The jumps would be for my university. We have very heavy standards with broken cups on them and our poles are mostly pvc and just plain white. Sprucing up the poles seems wasted if we're still using the same bad standards. Our budget is also pretty low, but I'm good at getting stores to donate materials.

kerryclair
10-07-2004, 06:30 PM
Hi Gillsa,
Amazon.com has two books about it:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0901366765/104-0768562-2419148?v=glance

My husband made me VERY VERY simple jumps with PVC pipe and a wooden platform that work GREAT but they may be more simple than what you are looking for. It works great for us though, and if you want I'll post some pictures and show you...but it is probably already like what you have and it appears you want to move up a little with the style and such (there is NO style to my little jumps that is for sure!). Then again we don't really do jumping with our horses, just the small ones required in cross country paces.

Let me know how it goes with yours.