PDA

View Full Version : questions about reef lighting

arnold
09-16-2004, 01:26 AM
i was planning to shift from fresh to salt water.saw mr. Greco's article re:reef lighting and that brought me here at the forum.I hope that mr. Greco will see this because i thought it's the only way i can reach him.

my current tank measured 6'Lx18"Dx20"H,to keep a few fish and corals is what i want but i dont have any idea about the latter.
question:does a single fluorescent tube w/ a 6500K 36W 46"lenght and an actinic bulb would be enough for my tank? and for the compact fluorescent bulb w/ the same K rating 10W equivalent to 40W output perhaps? if you prefer compact fluorescent how many bulbs would i need?
6500K was the highest that i've ever seen around here so far :roll: and to go beyond that two kinds of lighting was not my option it's because the metal halide's price was sky rocketing here at manila which is not practical on my part.i'm hoping for your help..thanks!

Cullen aquanaut
05-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi
I'm not Mr. Greco, but i should be able to help. :D
First of all, the best thing to do is to buy a reef book and saltwater fish book.
Knokledge is power and will save you a whole lot of money.
By the description of your tank, it sounds like a 100 gallon or more, which is a fantastic tank to start salty.
But there is one problem.
Money!!!!
Reef tanks take a whole lot of money and time.
I didn't understand the second set of compact flourescents, but i still believe it's not enough.
Now for my lesson. :D
For a reef tank you require a lot of light. (ex. PC flourescent, VHO lighting, and Metal halide, or even a mixture)
The general rule is 5 watts per gallon.
For you thats an easy 500 watts. :shock:
Trust me lighting is expensive.
After that you have to choose simple corals to start off with, ones that are hardy and can stand a little mistake.
Next you have to see if your choices are compatible with eachother, they might not act alive but trust me they can fight eachother using the stinging cells on their tentacles or even expunge chemicals.
Next you have to have the equipment to make the water super clean.
You should probably already have a sump, that only leaves a protien skimmer.
This takes excess minerals and aerates the water.
There are also other types of filters but i'll discuss those if you ask.
And after all that is done you wait at least a year for the tank to settle in to put fish in.
But you still have to find fish that are compatible with the types of coral in your tank.
Here's a good site for help with this endeavor, www.liveaquaria.com.
Check it out.
:D :D :D