PDA

View Full Version : My dog has a hole in his throat (read before laughing)

Arstron
09-01-2004, 01:34 AM
Sorry I couldn't think of a better subject line. Let me first start out by saying I am a Firefighter/EMT, so I have seen my share of trauma.

I am a proud owner of a 2 year old female dalmatian. I live in the city and keep her in my back yard which is fenced in with a chain link fence. I was playing with her this afternoon when I noticed some dried blood, a very small amount, on her neck. After a much closer examination I found that something had penetrated through her skin completely. The hole is right in the center of her trachea where the neck meets the torso. It seems to me that the wound is a couple of days old by the looks of the blood and the way its partially sealed back. After noticing this, I listened to her lung sounds with my stethoscope, I've never listened to a dogs lungs before, but the right side was definitely different, possibly some wheezing. I am taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow morning. What I am wondering is, is there many common diseases that can cause wheezing in a dog? My biggest concern is that our neighbor or his kids has shot this dog with a pellet gun and the pellet hit her lung.

Also the dog has had a loss of her appetite since last Friday. She usually eats a bowl of food a day, but I just filled her bowl up last night and it wasn't completely empty then. I am wondering if the 2 of them are connected also.

I realize its probably going to be hard for anyone to give me any definite answers, but some educated guesses would be very appreciated.

kerryclair
09-01-2004, 10:32 PM
I'm sorry...am not a vet and can't really offer medical advice...but would love to have a follow-up here. Please let us know what the vet says about this. Wheezing in the lungs can't be a good thing.